"Seymour Duncan Special Van halen pickup 1979"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Seymour Duncan Special Van halen pickup 1979"

When Ed recieved the black and yellow striped strat(made by Karl Sandoval who worked at wayne charvels shop,late 70s) it came stock with a fender type trem then it was changed to a prototype floyd rose which made the guitar sound bright.Grover wasnt involved at that time.
    Last edited by pittbull; 06-02-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

There's a lot of folks who think Grover was/is an a-hole. He built some awesome guitars though but was kind of a crooked businessman. He totally screwed Wayne Charvel out of tens of thousands of bucks when he sold the company to him. Eddie still likes Wayne and even had him work on a couple guitars in more recent times.

Comment

not many know that whole neck except the FB is painted black!

KARL LOOKS LIKE GENE SIMMONS! LMAO!

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
        When Ed recieved the black and yellow striped strat(made by Karl Sandoval who worked at wayne charvels shop,late 70s) it came stock with a fender type trem then it was changed to a prototype floyd rose which made the guitar sound bright.
        Last edited by Ed Hunter; 06-02-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
          When Ed recieved the black and yellow striped strat(made by Karl Sandoval who worked at wayne charvels shop,late 70s) it came stock with a fender type trem then it was changed to a prototype floyd rose which made the guitar sound bright.
          My mistake it wasn't built by Grover, but he was running the show after 1978, when Wayne left.

Those early Floyds were horribly bright. Steel blocks and something about the saddle design made them thin. Quite the opposite with my Gotoh Floyd. It totally improved the balls on my guitar over the 6-hole that was in it.

Comment

wow the fate of time!

he doesn't look like gene simmons anymore! LOL!

Comment

Still, a badass look though.

Comment

I like the black and yellow strat over the original frankie.My Ibanez prestige rg1550m in poisen pumpkin color is the same type of yellow of Eds color(yellow).
                Last edited by pittbull; 06-02-2011, 07:03 PM.

Comment

love that axe it was the only official charvel he had and if funds weren't a issue i would be all over this

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for VH II Charvel Style Replica Guitar w/Floyd Rose Tremolo at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
                    not many know that whole neck except the FB is painted black!

KARL LOOKS LIKE GENE SIMMONS! LMAO!
                    ya the Floyd would of added more brightness to that guitar... but look at the pu in that photo... it's right up against the 6 screw bridge almost... that added huge to the brightness too... when Ed added a gold FRO to that B&Y Charvel sometime in the 90's it looked like the bridge was right ontop of the PU almost... saw that photo in a Fanzine called The Inside...

i saw a video from guys at Kramerguitars saying the 5150 was Poplar... it is kind of a convincing video... makes me wonder how many VH fans made 5150 clones out of ash...
                    Last edited by WhoFan; 06-02-2011, 07:06 PM.

Comment

BUT, I find that more than anything, the right kind of string muting and pick attack/technique is the best way to approximate that Ed tone.[/QUOTE]

This is how it's done.
                      No matter what guitar,amp or effects are used.
                      "Gourmet Tone at a fraction of the price"

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan View Post
                        ya the Floyd would of added more brightness to that guitar... but look at the pu in that photo... it's right up against the 6 screw bridge almost... that added huge to the brightness too

i saw a video from guys at Kramerguitars saying the 5150 was Poplar... it is kind of a convincing video... makes me wonder how many VH fans made 5150 clones out of ash...
                        my vote is for poplar too, which led EVH to the basswood on his next guitar the EBMM sig

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post

Still, a badass look though.
                          ya he had already changed the neck on this one in this photo... i guess when he added that early Floyd he changed necks at the same time too...

Comment

keep in mind that charvel was originally a V trem model and probably sounded fine. the placement of the floyd is what F**ked it up imho.

Comment

Ed didnt use the black and yellow strat in the 90s."Ed added a gold FRO"....??

Comment

great post about the VH1 tone!

The technical depth on this is great and all but it appears that the origin of these 2 PAF based threads is rooted in the question of what pup's EVH used....along with the "Why VH1 sounds different" thread. Yes, early on, he said that he really liked the old PAF's the best and that is what he used on the first record or threreabouts.....with some obvious experimentation. In context of EVH, whether someone could or would make a 13k+ pup sound like a PAF is irrelavant. Becuase all of the later EVH pups like the rumored Custom Custom, Wolfgang, EVH Frankie, Charvel Art, etc...,while in the 13k+ range, sound NOTHING like a PAF. Does that mean that Ed lies? No, but it does appear that his tastes have changed over the years. Possibly in part due to the Floyd. But as "leadguy' pointed out in one of these threads, Floyds do not take the gain away and all of the above pups mentioned have more output and gain than a PAF. Ed also said that he didnt like too much preamp gain either...yet he had Peavey design and build an amp for him that had more pre-amp gain on tap than just about any other amp built prior. Again, I think his tastes change every now and then. As far as VH1, people are trying to mimic a recorded sound, and under different conditions. Like many here, I have experimented with some things and have gotten pretty close...but I am tweaking everything in accordance with the room I am playing in, the guitars I have, the amps, etc...Yes I am using some of the same gear that he said that he used but it is under different circumstances. It is my gear..NOT HIS..and I am not EVH. Plus I dont have Ted Templeman and Donn Landee. I think alot of his sound is in the production. And even that varies...because you are listening to a finished product on a stereo or some other audio device...many different kinds at that, which colors the sound. Also, some are listening to vinyl...some mp3's, some CD's...some remastered versions, and on and on. The only way anyone is really going to know for sure what he used and what his tone really sounded like is to go back in time to the recording sessions and actually stand there in the room with the amp as he is playing. And I for one wouldnt be a bit suprised if the ACTUAL sound was noticelbly different from what wound up on the record. People can bring up the sound of this demo or that boot, and yes, you can hear similarities. But I havent heard any other recording that sounds dead on like VH1 did. In fact none of the VH recordings sound exactly the same in general...not just the guitar.
                                JTM100

Comment

Working...
                                X