Clear All

• Re: "Seymour Duncan Special Van halen pickup 1979"

Who would that be.

Comment

?????

Comment

Ed H,ralles clip i just listened to sounded very good with the Dimarzio super Distortion,how would the Duncan custom sh-5 compare.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
          Ed H,ralles clip i just listened to sounded very good with the Dimarzio super Distortion,how would the Duncan custom sh-5 compare.
          very close actually,i tried to get those guys on board with the sh5, this was before ralle was using a DSD he had a JB in his strat and that also sounded real good,ralle is a good player and like i said a cool guy, i have talked to him via PM and email. he is not into keeping secrets about his discoveries or non of that BS.
          Last edited by Ed Hunter; 06-02-2011, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I am going to sign up thanks!

Last edited by Ed Hunter; 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM.

Comment

here is another VH1 clip dont know pup the guy used?

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                W3rd

Great pic,I didn't even read the rest!!!
                "Scalloped & Stickered"
                A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Hey, I found an awesome YouTube demo of the Custom Shop IM1!!!!

Comment

^^That would be the "Live Without A Net" solo but I`m sure you already knew that And a killer solo it is.
                    When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

what magnet does that sound like to you? A2 or A5?
                      the ones they sell have a aged magnet BUT back then(1986) ed's wasnt aged yet? so getting the aged magnet version is what that frankie pu sounds like NOW not THEN! everyone keeps forgeting that?

Comment

Ed is using a Duncan 59,there is a white wax that filled part of the pickup,you can see it.Ed did use the 59 during the 5150 tour(1986).Zeke Clark was Eds guitar tech at that time.

Comment

Is that two or more clips spliced together? Notice at around :25 he tosses his cig away, with nothing in the headstock. Then, at around :45 the cig reappears in the headstock. There was never a break in the playing for him to relight another.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
                            what magnet does that sound like to you? A2 or A5?
                            the ones they sell have a aged magnet BUT back then(1986) ed's wasnt aged yet? so getting the aged magnet version is what that frankie pu sounds like NOW not THEN! everyone keeps forgeting that?
                            In a poplar or basswood guitar an A5 will not have the spike and scoop associated with alder and ash bodies. Seymour and Eddie probably tried the A2 and it was too warm for his 5150. The magnet may have been degaussed on purpose to chill the high end... maybe. An alnico magnet, in 100 years, only degausses naturally about 2%, so it was probably on purpose and part of the pickup formula.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
                              Ed is using a Duncan 59,there is a white wax that filled part of the pickup,you can see it.Ed did use the 59 during the 5150 tour(1986).Zeke Clark was Eds guitar tech at that time.
                              I am extremely doubtful that Eddie used or has ever used off-the-shelf production pickups, aside from the possibility of using a Mighty Mite in the club days. Even his '63 PAF was rewound by Seymour. I have no reason to doubt it was similar to the Frankenstein pup and if you've ever used a Custom 5 or Custom Custom, they're not exactly "high output" pickups, they just have stronger harmonics than a '59 or '78 model.

If Eddie or Zeke said it was a '59, it was probably just to help Seymour generate sales or obfuscation. You yourself seem skeptical of anything Ed says. He probably told his tech not to mention it was a custom wound model, if asked.

Comment

Zeke clark explained that on the 5150 tour(1986) pickups that were used were Duncan 59,gibson pafs,dimarzio pafs.Do I believe it,no,Im just explaining what was said.Like I said many times when Ed talks about the equipment he uses I take it with a grain of salt.
                                Last edited by pittbull; 06-03-2011, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X