"Seymour Duncan Special Van halen pickup 1979"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Seymour Duncan Special Van halen pickup 1979"

I recieved the Duncan custom SH-5 yesterday(I had to order it),installed it and it has that openness and the midrange cut that you hear on Van halen 1,its a great souding pickup for that sound.It drives hard,has that crunch also.I like it better then the custom custom SH-11 especially for the van halen 1 sound, the custom custom didnt have the cut or drive that the duncan custom SH-5 achieves,anyway I wanted to report back.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
      I recieved the Duncan custom SH-5 yesterday(I had to order it),installed it and it has that openness and the midrange cut that you hear on Van halen 1,its a great souding pickup for that sound.It drives hard,has that crunch also.I like it better then the custom custom SH-11 especially for the van halen 1 sound, the custom custom didnt have the cut or drive that the duncan custom SH-5 achieves,anyway I wanted to report back.
      Great pup i ordered a black/white TB-5 for my new charvel a few days ago from banjomikes.

Comment

How does the Duncan 78 compare to the duncan custom SH-5 soundwise.

Comment

How does the Duncan 78 compare to the duncan custom SH-5 soundwise.
          I dont own one someone else will have to chime in

Comment

This question is alittle off topic,when your listening to Van halen 1(first album)do you hear delay or do you hear echo,im not talking about the plate reverb you hear.

Comment

Someone I know has a '78 for sale right now...
              -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
              “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

This question is alittle off topic,when your listening to Van halen 1(first album)do you hear delay or do you hear echo,im not talking about the plate reverb you hear.
                Probably hearing the Echoplex, so I'd say echo. If I remember right, he had two of them. One for the subtle effects during the songs, and then the one in the old bomb used only for Eruption.
                GuitarStv: O.o

Comment

Originally posted by Jakek5150 View Post
                  Probably hearing the Echoplex, so I'd say echo. If I remember right, he had two of them. One for the subtle effects during the songs, and then the one in the old bomb used only for Eruption.
                  not that it matters but the univox mounted in the bomb was only used on the very ending of eruption

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
                    not that it matters but the univox mounted in the bomb was only used on the very ending of eruption
                    Yeah, that's it. I love hearing those live versions and he goes insane on that thing.

GuitarStv: O.o

Comment

I think the executives in charge of Warner Bros. Music at that time should be locked up (key disposed of) for not having official footage of the '78 tour. That was THE tour that put most of the "guitar gods" of the 70's back in the woodshed.

Comment

I seen that many times and it never gets old!
                        supposedly thats the duncan 78 in that guitar there!

Comment

I seen that many times and it never gets old!
                          supposedly thats the duncan 78 in that guitar there!
                          The SuperD /MM pickup is accepted by many devout followers of eds VH-1 sound as "the" VH-1 pickup. I beleive the '78 was beyond that someway, and it just nails the Vh-1 sound really quickly and effortlessly in any Marshall-esque rig.
                          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                            The SuperD /MM pickup is accepted by many devout followers of eds VH-1 sound as "the" VH-1 pickup. I beleive the '78 was beyond that someway, and it just nails the Vh-1 sound really quickly and effortlessly in any Marshall-esque rig.
                            which one to you does the super d or the 78?

Comment

which one to you does the super d or the 78?
                              I would say the '78 does, without any problems. Now the DMarz MM/SuperD would get there more directly I'm guessing , with a real Plexi, Jbl/G12m-20 mix speakers, and a saturated variac sound. I know there is something to the JBL/G12M mix, cause thats what I've heard Jim Marshall designed the great 70's/early 80's G12-65 from-the mix of JBL clean and vintage Celestion dirty ( hailed as THE greatest 4x12 speaker ever made, and I concur).Thats another amazing attribute to Ed to have spawned marshalls greatest 4x12 cabinet speaker.
                              Besides that, the '78 is EVH-1 in a box...using a Marshall JMP in my case.
                              Last edited by MetalManiac; 06-10-2011, 06:38 PM.
                              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                                I would say the '78 does, without any problems. Now the Duncan MM/SuperD would get there more directly with a real Plexi, Jbl/G12m-20 mix speakers, and a saturated variac sound. I know there is something to the JBL/G12M mix, cause thats what Jim marshall designed the great 70's/early 80's G12-65 from ( hailed as THE greatetst 4x12 speaker ever made, and I concur)
                                Besides that, the '78 is EVH-1 in a box.
                                Cool the 78 is about the ONLY pup i havent tried! LOL!
                                I really am diggin the dimarzio axis pup that is a really great VH pup,it does the old tone in a strat and with a plexi. it has the classic VH eq in it. the resistance is real deceiving in this pup it is a 17K but plays and feels like a PAF dont know how dimarzio did that?

Comment

Working...
                                X