X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Seymour Duncan Special Van halen pickup 1979"

Originally posted by MattPete View Post
    He posts on LPF. Why not ask him?
    hopefully he wont be like EVH and be so burnt out he cant remember things correctly!

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
      I'm glad Eddie got over the issue with Seymour, or we might be actually playing guitar somewhere instead of talking about this stuff here.

Originally posted by jcthejester13
      Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Ed H,I havent played marshalls in many years,since the mid 80s.Ive owned original marshall plexis,superleads,jcm 800,modded plexis and they never sounded the way I liked.Then I owned-tried all the boutique stuff thats out there from A-Z with no cigar also.Then in the early 90s I tried out the VHT amps and I liked what I heard.Since then thats all I play they achieve the tone we are talking about,they have the punch,aggressiveness,clarity(you hear every note),edge,in your face tone.I play the VHT/Fryette Deliverance heads(what a great sounding Marshall should sound like).Im just looking for the extra zig and i believe the right pickup will give me that.Ive also tried EQ pedals,overdrive pedals and they basicly destroy my sound.So The right pickup should work.Like I said many times I use my ears when it comes to what my sound needs.
        Last edited by pittbull; 06-01-2011, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
          Ed H,I havent played marshalls in many years,since the mid 80s.Ive owned original marshall plexis,superleads,jcm 800,modded plexis and they never sounded the way I liked.Then I owned-tried all the boutique stuff thats out there from A-Z with no cigar also.Then in the early 90s I tried out the VHT amps and I liked what I heard.Since then thats all I play they achieve the tone we are talking about,they have the punch,aggressiveness,clarity(you hear every note),edge,in your face tone.I play the VHT/Fryette Deliverance heads(what a great sounding Marshall should sound like).Im just looking for the extra zig and i believe the right pickup will give me that.Ive also tried EQ pedals,overdrive pedals and they basicly destroy my sound.So The right pickup should work.Like I said many times I use my ears when it comes to what my sound needs.
          YOU ARE GONNA LOVE THE SH5 THROUGH A VHT DUDE!
          Even IF it dont do the VH thing it will sound amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
            hopefully he wont be like EVH and be so burnt out he cant remember things correctly!
            what were you doing in 1976?

Comment

I'll bet neither Ted Templeman nor Donn Landee could draw you an exact signal chain map either.

FWIW, I inquired to the Custom Shop about the Kramer 5150 pup and MJ told me that the IM1 WAS the same pickup in the Kramer guitars, as we already know it's the same wind as the "Frankenstein" with different wire and an aged A5. She could have been mistaken but I specified "Kramer 5150" and she said "IM1".

So... even if you hate the early Van Hagar tone, you can't blame the pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by j9fd3s View Post
                what were you doing in 1976?
                wasnt even born yet

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post

FWIW, I inquired to the Custom Shop about the Kramer 5150 pup and MJ told me that the IM1 WAS the same pickup in the Kramer guitars, as we already know it's the same wind as the "Frankenstein" with different wire and an aged A5. She could have been mistaken but I specified "Kramer 5150" and she said "IM1".

So... even if you hate the early Van Hagar tone, you can't blame the pickups.
                  yeah she told me this as well and that he used the 78 for the earliest stuff
                  i never owned the 78 but with ed's exact gear and the ted and don sunset studios factor, that could be the pu on the 1st record. we dont know what eddie had in the signal chain exactly. I heard jolly use a duncan jazz to play metal so anything is possible. my PG will do real heavy s**t and it is not a hot pu through a plexi. but really this thread is just about the sh5 custom and like i said many times already that pup will do the 1st record tone no prob even though it was not wound for EVH
                  Last edited by Ed Hunter; 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I dont believe the BS that MJ tells people that Ed used the 78 for the first album.(More BS marketing from seymour Duncan). First of all Van halen 1 was recorded in 77 and released in 78 Ed didnt have seymour do any pickup work for him in that time frame it was afterwards.

Comment

I dont believe the BS that MJ tells people that Ed used the 78 for the first album.(More BS marketing from seymour Duncan). First of all Van halen 1 was recorded in 77 and released in 78 Ed didnt have seymour do any pickup work for him in that time frame it was afterwards.
                      Dude we dont know that for sure? no of us were there back then.
                      seymour knew wayne and did winds for Mighty mite,wayne sold mighty mite pu's which is how ed knew of them and eddie hung out at waynes shop and blah blah blah. how do we know if ed didnt have seymour do rewinds for him back then? i mean really this speculation is getting F**kin rediculous! if you didnt grow up hanging with all these guys and were not there then you dont know for sure. Btw you wont make many friends around here calling MJ a BS'er.
                      Last edited by Ed Hunter; 06-01-2011, 04:27 PM.

Comment

What im saying is Ed probably used a higher output pickup, more output then the so-called 78 pickup for the recording of Van halen 1.I do believe it was a ceramic pickup like the Mighty Mite,Dimarzio Super Distortion or a Gibson pickup that was wound very hot.I also know about Seymour working for Wayne and Wayne showed Ed how to pot pickups.As for MJ how would she know,she wasnt around back then.Im not concerd about making friends here thats for sure im speaking my mind,there is alot of marketing BS.
                        Last edited by pittbull; 06-01-2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

What im saying is Ed probably used a higher output pickup, more output then the so-called 78 pickup for the recording of Van halen 1.I do believe it was a ceramic pickup like the Mighty Mite,Dimarzio Super Distortion or a Gibson pickup that was wound very hot.I also know about Seymour working for Wayne and Wayne showed Ed how to pot pickups.
                          from all the pics of the early days he used what appeared to be mighty mite screamers which were dimarzio SD clones. funny how larry d didnt'get his panties in a bunch over that like he did with the double cream issue?i
                          anyway all i am saying is that none of us really know what was done to those mighty mites(that seymour wound at that time). did VH use a stock one? one that was rewound by seymour to 78 spec's? was it a MM with a different magnet? lots of ???
                          we know that eddie used the super d in the b/y charvel but again what was done to that DSD? many have said that if you put a A2 into a DSD it is essentially a duncan CC??? I dont know i never tried it? back to VH1 and just VH1 LOL! i honestly dont know what he used but yes it does sound like a hotter wind than the 78? Sounds very aggressive and ceramic to my ears,not very overwound PAF at all
                          Last edited by Ed Hunter; 06-01-2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Ed H,its true that its hard to pinpoint certain things but to me Van halen 1 does sound like a ceramic type pickup.

Comment

Ed H,its true that its hard to pinpoint certain things but to me Van halen 1 does sound like a ceramic type pickup.
                              Yeah when you listen to the shows right before the 1st record was done and the record itself of course then listen to the shows after the record was done and the B/W charvel was finished with its new paint scheme and all maple neck those shows have a different tone,and the only change he made according to all the available info is the pu? he went to a lower output rewound PAF. have you ever tried the super d set away from the strings?

Comment

One thing that convinced me about the possibility of him using a hotter ceramic is the recording of eruption. after the A chord those notes are too tight and compressed to be a PAF type. unless he used a A8 or a ceramic in the PAF?

Comment

Working...
                                X