Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for Tokai SG

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Japanese Tokai SG copy that I want to compliment my '04 Gibson Les Paul Standard with Burstbucker Pro pickups.

The Tokai's stock pickups are Ok, but are very PAF-like, with less percieved output compared to the Burstbuckers. I'd really like to have a more agressive sound with the SG, I guess something a little harder than the Gibson 498T/490R combination.

What SD options do I have?

Thank's!

P.D: It' like to put on the nickel covers of the stock pickups. Would this be a problem? I guess it isn't a hughe difference soundwise...

Re: Pickups for Tokai SG

it sounds like to me you are looking for something a little hotter that PAF's...I would say maybe a 59 in the neck and a JB or a Custom 5 in the bridge...a Pearly Gates is a great neck pup(I like the bridge too...but it is still very PAF'ish). Maybe the Duncan Stand by is what you need...that would be a JB/Jazz combo...it is a killer combo, and it is a bit hotter that PAF style pups! Good luck
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

What I read was that the 498T/490R combo was Gibson attempt to "copy" the famous SD duo... I understand that the 498T/490R is much hotter than the Burstbucker Pros... But, can I assume that the JB/59 combo would be as agressive as 498T/490R? I would really like to go a little beyond that. Any other options?

Between a JB and a C5, which is the more agressive of the 2?

What about a hotter '59 to allow a little more sustain?

Thank's for your patience and time!

Comment

Originally posted by faltat
        What I read was that the 498T/490R combo was Gibson attempt to "copy" the famous SD duo... I understand that the 498T/490R is much hotter than the Burstbucker Pros... But, can I assume that the JB/59 combo would be as agressive as 498T/490R? I would really like to go a little beyond that. Any other options?

Between a JB and a C5, which is the more agressive of the 2?

What about a hotter '59 to allow a little more sustain?

Thank's for your patience and time!
        I would assume that the Duncans would be more agressive...I DO NOT like Gibson pickups because of the lack of agression.

The question of JB vs C5 has been talked into the ground here...I think that it's a toss up, both are killer pickups...the JB has a tad more output, as well as a little less bass and a bit more mids.

As far as a hotter 59...Custom 5! A killer pickup combo is the 59n and a Custom 5 bridge.

Good luck
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
        X