Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Review on Jazz neck, Metalheads read this

Originally posted by Neeradj

ranalli, I just want to get a good sound from both pick ups, and my old Paf Pro did Speed Metal incredibly well so not using the neck pick up for heavy music, is like not using a guitar you own to me

I use the neck pickup all the time and with distortion too, however, I've never heard of anyone using the neck pickup for speed metal rhythm parts or any chugga-chugga type stuff that's all I'm saying. Just seems like that's a weird comparison to make.

But good review though, pretty thorough.

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt
      Neeradj, you nailed the review perfectly. I fall into the sloppy sweep-pickers department. Even my sweeps sound somewhat okay with that pup, and that's saying alot. I love the Jazz, and am considering dropping the JB/Jazz combo into my LP since I love it in my Jackson. It's so multi-purpose. It has that fast cold water over smooth rocks sound that I love.
      I'm sure you sound great bro, don't be so negative . Thanks for the compliment, I'm so happy with this combo (and the guitar ofcourse) this is the first time since I somewhat learned how to play, I don't feel like I need another guitar. Another satisfied JB/Jazz costumer. Too bad though since I may not be trying any other Duncans for a while, that's the risk of being a completely satisfied customer
      Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
      Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
      Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
      Marshall 2x12 Vintage
      Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
        I use the neck pickup all the time and with distortion too, however, I've never heard of anyone using the neck pickup for speed metal rhythm parts or any chugga-chugga type stuff that's all I'm saying. Just seems like that's a weird comparison to make.

But good review though, pretty thorough.
        The EMG85 and DiMarzio Air Norton do that trick though, most people underestimate the neck position of a guitar, but a neck pick up can easilly take you there with high gain. Those two pups are a mere example, but it's a coincidence they also clean up beautifully
        Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by WITH FULL DISTORTION
          ahahahahh HAILS JAMMERMATT!
          ahahahahahahhh HAILS WFD!

You sound real upbeat lately! You must be back home with your girl!!
          Originally posted by Scott_F
          On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Just BACK at home, ahahah the girl is on HER house. ahahah but i guess she will visit me in CHRISTMAS
            ahahah as a gift
            Q
            Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
            Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
            Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
            Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
            Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
            Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
            Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
            Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Interesting, some people hate it under high gain, some love it...but most hate it. I think I'll set up a poll...

Comment

hmm

how high gain are we talking here?

cause i really, really like the 59 in the enck of my lea paul with the DD in bridge it's completely killer! and i dont really use all that much gain, usually about halfway on my marshall and i get a really clear sound. do you guys think i'd like it better than the 59?

Comment

As high as you want it to be, although I don't like too much gain. I'm not sure if you'd like it better, what are you basically looking for? What is it you like and dislike about the '59n?

I did a little recording with my V-Amp 2, I tried to record the other stuff but I don't think it'd represent anything else very well. Here's a bit of sweeping. I know it's sloppy, but it'll give you a nice idea of how good and clear the Jazz sounds for sweeping:

Just pick the only mp3 in the directory: http://members.lycos.nl/neeradj/song
                  Last edited by Neeradj; 11-27-2004, 04:56 PM.

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

i preffered the Jazz in the neck than the full shred.
                    At leats with those 2 samples.
                    yours and jimmys samples.
                    Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
                    Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
                    Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
                    Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
                    Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
                    Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
                    Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                    Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

I actually like them equally, the Jazz has that slurpy laser gun sweep picking sound, but you can't beat that 80's Metal tone Jimmy's got going for him. I also like the riffing sound a little better with the Full Shred neck.

It all comes down to what kind of sound one is looking for

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                      X