Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Duncan Custom SH-5 Special Van halen pickup

Originally posted by grumptruck
    Maybe they want you go to go to your graves tone chasing a hack who is know about lying about his tone secrets.

Find your own voice.
    are you serious??? YOU are calling him a hack?
    When is the last time you added ANYTHING to the guitar vocabulary?

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      Frank went fishing and caught a WHOOOOOOOOLE boatload of gooberfish....LOL.
      What exactly is your problem???
      I see everytime there is anything about VH on this forum you add a smart ass remark to the thread instead of tryin to help out the newer guys here who want to know?
      If it bothers you so much why the hell do you even click on any VH links???

Comment

You know something?

Larry Carlton sounds like Larry Carlton, no matter what guitar and rig he plays through.

David Gilmour sounds like David Gilmour, no matter what guitar and rig he plays through.

Eric Johnson sounds like Eric Johnson, no matter what guitar and rig he plays through.

Phil Keaggy sounds like Phil Keaggy, no matter what guitar and rig he plays through.

Jeff beck sounds like Jeff Beck, even when he's not playing a tele-gib with a JB!

Larry Carlton sounds like Larry Carlton, no matter what guitar and rig he plays through.

Can we just ACCEPT THE FACT THAT EDDIE SOUNDS LIKE EDDIE AND LIKED EXPERIMENTING WITH DIFFERENT PICKUPS TO HELP REFINE HIS TONE, LIKE SO MANY OF US DO?

SHEEEEEEESSSHHHHHH!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
          What exactly is your problem???
          I see everytime there is anything about VH on this forum you add a smart ass remark to the thread instead of tryin to help out the newer guys here who want to know?
          If it bothers you so much why the hell do you even click on any VH links???
          I don't have a problem. I stopped chasing this crazy info years ago. Who cares anymore? Why? There is the search function that will give everything available in past threads.

I don't post smartass comments in every one of them. Just a select few. Get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
            NOT to sound like a smart ass but a lot of this S**T could be resovled if SEYMOUR himself or CATHY answered to it?
            Was it wound for eddie on request or was it a take on eddies tone and eddie never actually used it? yes or no? i dont see the big deal with clearing this up. it has been over 30 years!
            No worries about how you sound. But none of the information you seek could be resolved by any information we have here. What we made doesn't mean anything because how would we know what pickups he used on which tracks? We wouldn't. Seymour didn't produce the album, he just made pickups. You're barking up the wrong tree. It's like asking the grocery store what I made for dinner. All they know is what they sold me that day, and they wouldn't know what I already had in my house or how I cooked with it.

Comment

I had forgotten about this thread...

*sigh*
              Originally posted by jcthejester13
              Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                No worries about how you sound. But none of the information you seek could be resolved by any information we have here. What we made doesn't mean anything because how would we know what pickups he used on which tracks? We wouldn't. Seymour didn't produce the album, he just made pickups. You're barking up the wrong tree. It's like asking the grocery store what I made for dinner. All they know is what they sold me that day, and they wouldn't know what I already had in my house or how I cooked with it.
                yes i understand all that but why not just let others know IF eddie was in on that model or it was just INFLUENCED by his tone back then? thats all i wanted to know,i dont care if he used it really i am more curious to finally find out if that model was a custom request or a pup called custom because it is seymours take on the elusive VH tone back then?

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  I don't have a problem. I stopped chasing this crazy info years ago. Who cares anymore? Why? There is the search function that will give everything available in past threads.

I don't post smartass comments in every one of them. Just a select few. Get over it.
                  We both know that a search will find anything you need to know about the VH tone past,present and even future but a lot of new guys dont bother searchin and just ask on a thread. I have no prob rehashing the info to help em out
                  Oh and i was never under it to have to get over it! LOL!

Comment

Eddie tone sounds different on each of the van halen albums so to say Eddie sounds the same on what ever he plays though is total BS.As for seymour coming forth on this subject,he wont,its a cash maker for him look at all the so-called van halen pickups he make's.

Comment

Originally posted by WhooHoo View Post
                      I think the PAF thing is a red herring.

I can see an overwound PAF being used in 1978 because EVH's tone changed in 1978 (check 1978 world tour boots and videos) but not really before then.

EVH was using Ceramic Mighty Mite DiMarzio Distortion clones in early/mid 1977 and this is more of the cutting club tone that seems to be on the first album recorded in 1977.

This video shows the differences between driving a EVH like Plexi with different pickups.

Wow. Pete nails it at the end with the Super D-powered Partscaster. That's about as VH1 as you can get. Although, that Wolf Custom sounds amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
                        I had forgotten about this thread...

*sigh*
                        Amen, somethings never go away kinda like herpes
                        Last edited by Sruffie777; 02-08-2012, 03:32 PM.
                        I need no stinkin signatures

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
                          Wow. Pete nails it at the end with the Super D-powered Partscaster. That's about as VH1 as you can get. Although, that Wolf Custom sounds amazing.
                          Yes sir i agree! and the most important thing about his clip is that he is proving it is way more amp than pup.
                          need proof?
                          think of all the other DSD users through the years and NOT ONE sounds like VH1. ace,al dimeola,tom scholz,and the fricking hundreds of other super d players! Truth be told i think eddie was using the mighty mite super d clone and he had seymour wind him a 13.6K ceramic with awg 43 poly and the custom sh5 was born and that what he used in the B/W strat on the 1st record with that killer marshall!

Comment

Ed Hunter I agree with you, as for some of these guys who like to post insults do they have anything better to do.If you have no interest why bother to post.

Comment

I don't know. Saw the clips of the Bray heads and kind wish I could afford rig to get that tone, which is very plexi old school Marshall sounding. He uses a Duncan 78, but obviously that is only one variable in the equation. In that regard, a strat with a Duncan played through a Gorilla amp is still gonna sound like crap.

David Bray Amps is located in Southern California, in the town of Yucca Valley 760-418-5729 I offer handwired, point-to-point "Plexi" style amps, using top shelf components, custom-built by myself to the client's tonal desires and needs. Or, send me your amp for a Mod/Rework. If you buy an amp elsewhere, such as eBay, you can have it shipped directly here, email me for the shipping address. The main theme I go for when building or reworking an amplifier is increased musicality and enjoyment. Almost all of us have had those special experiences where you are playing, and it draws you in to the point where you literally cannot stop playing your guitar. Soon, it's 4 am, and your other half is wondering where you are. On any amp that I build or perform a Mod/Rework on, I record a soundclip of your amp and send it to you to hear, prior to shipping, to make sure it is exactly what you want. david @ davidbrayamps . com http://www.davidbrayamps.com

However, $2K+ is a bit rich for me for a head until kids are gone. By then, I will be too old to be cool enough to even consider one. Doooh!

Comment

Originally posted by MUguy View Post
                                I don't know. Saw the clips of the Bray heads and kind wish I could afford rig to get that tone, which is very plexi old school Marshall sounding. He uses a Duncan 78, but obviously that is only one variable in the equation. In that regard, a strat with a Duncan played through a Gorilla amp is still gonna sound like crap.

David Bray Amps is located in Southern California, in the town of Yucca Valley 760-418-5729 I offer handwired, point-to-point "Plexi" style amps, using top shelf components, custom-built by myself to the client's tonal desires and needs. Or, send me your amp for a Mod/Rework. If you buy an amp elsewhere, such as eBay, you can have it shipped directly here, email me for the shipping address. The main theme I go for when building or reworking an amplifier is increased musicality and enjoyment. Almost all of us have had those special experiences where you are playing, and it draws you in to the point where you literally cannot stop playing your guitar. Soon, it's 4 am, and your other half is wondering where you are. On any amp that I build or perform a Mod/Rework on, I record a soundclip of your amp and send it to you to hear, prior to shipping, to make sure it is exactly what you want. david @ davidbrayamps . com http://www.davidbrayamps.com

However, $2K+ is a bit rich for me for a head until kids are gone. By then, I will be too old to be cool enough to even consider one. Doooh!
                                The thing about ed's 1st record tone is that it had more drive/gain the the rest of his latter tones, so since he probably did not use OD pedal(??? dont know for sure!) he got his extra kick from the hotter pup ala paf on steroids duncan custom
                                as far as amps the suhr SL68 that pete uses is hands down the best hot rod plexi i have heard other than ed's actual marshall!

Comment

Working...
                                X