Duncan Custom SH-5 Special Van halen pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pittbull View Post
    I had a conversation about this topic with MJ last week the article that was in Guitar Player magazine 1979 about the Seymour Duncan Custom pickup was really a custom wind pickup that Seymour did for Eddie in 78. The 1979 article which said Duncan Custom(Van Halen) was the custom wind that Seymour did for Eddie in 78 NOT the Duncan Custom SH-5 the article was miss leading,when Eddie seen the article he called Seymour about it and Eddie wasn’t happy at all he didn’t want Seymour to sell the pickup because it was Eddie’s recipe to Seymour what he wanted in that PAF pickup so Seymour removes the Van Halen name on the next Seymour Duncan article in the next Guitar Player magazine about the pickups Seymour offers.This was also told to MJ by Seymour. The Seymour Duncan 78 IS the pickup.
    After 10 years, this zombie thread is resurrected by the OP and the argument continues....
    -Butch

Comment

• What argument ?? there was a lot of misleading topics about Eddie’s gear

Comment

What argument ?? there was a lot of misleading topics about Eddie’s gear
        What arguments? This entire thread was riddled with disagreements and arguing about the subject. Then after 10 years of silence, it was brought back. If I were an admin, I would have locked it a long time ago.
        -Butch

Comment

• What ???I just found new legit info from Seymour Duncan

Comment

• Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
            Re: Duncan Custom SH-5 Special Van halen pickup

And Seymour told you all of this, or this is something you pulled out of your ass? My guess would be the latter.
            Point taken, if this subject matter is important to you, I should treat it with more sensitivity, 10-year gap between posts or not. This forum is about sharing knowledge. That's why we are here, right?
            -Butch

Comment

I had a conversation about this topic with MJ last week the article that was in Guitar Player magazine 1979 about the Seymour Duncan Custom pickup was really a custom wind pickup that Seymour did for Eddie in 78. The 1979 article which said Duncan Custom(Van Halen) was the custom wind that Seymour did for Eddie in 78 NOT the Duncan Custom SH-5 the article was miss leading,when Eddie seen the article he called Seymour about it and Eddie wasn’t happy at all he didn’t want Seymour to sell the pickup because it was Eddie’s recipe to Seymour what he wanted in that PAF pickup so Seymour removes the Van Halen name on the next Seymour Duncan article in the next Guitar Player magazine about the pickups Seymour offers.This was also told to MJ by Seymour. The Seymour Duncan 78 IS the pickup.
              If I'm reading this right, the pickup referred to as Custom (Van Halen) in guitar player magazine is sold nowadays as the 78?
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

• That’s right Chris

Comment

• Here is something interesting......

EVH Borrows Chris Holmes' Guitar
                  -Butch

Comment

• Thats old knowledge

Comment

Thats old knowledge
                      Wow, sorry for trying to contribute to something you are interested in. You're welcome.
                      -Butch

Comment

• Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

If I'm reading this right, the pickup referred to as Custom (Van Halen) in guitar player magazine is sold nowadays as the 78?
                        i doubt it!
                        the ad says:

59 Model, ld & rhy
                        Jazz Model, ld & rhy
                        The Mag (strat sound)
                        JB Model (Harmonics)
                        The Duncan Custom (van Halen)
                        Seymourizer II (series parallel)
                        Duncan Distortion

that's identicial to the model numbering except for the last 2 reversed and discontinued products...

SH-1: 59
                        SH-2: Jazz
                        SH-3: stag mag nowadays
                        SH-4: JB
                        SH-5: ducan custom
                        SH-7: Seymourizer II, now SH-6n
                        SH-6: distortion (SH-6b)​
                        Last edited by ToneFiddler; 06-25-2024, 02:38 AM.

Comment

• I recall the '78 Model was a trembucker, 4-conductor version of the Evenly Voiced Harmonics pickup, which came out in the 2000s. The original recipe PAF Seymour did for EVH was never released to the public before then AFAIK. The Duncan Custom was the Duncan Custom, "PAF on steroids" ceramic pickup.

Comment

• From MJ at Seymour Duncan any pickup work Seymour did for Eddie a ceramic magnet was never used

Comment

• i think we're only a couple new threads away from really getting to the bottom of this

Comment

From MJ at Seymour Duncan any pickup work Seymour did for Eddie a ceramic magnet was never used
                                Right. No one said that.

Comment

Working...
                                X