X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup question

I was thinking about new pickups.
    Should i go with DiMarzio or Duncan?
    My guitar is maple body HSS Charvel.On bridge I need something good for rythm and maybe soloing,but rythm primarly.Neck should be something solely for lead work.Nothing with huge output.Something thaT stays clean with sweeping and things like that.I also have Mid Boost active control in my guitar.Should i leave that behing when installing new pickups?

Re: Pickup question

JUST SAY NO TO DiMarzio!!!!

If it were my HSS guitar I would go with a set of APS-2 or Antiquity Texas Hots for the neck and middle and a Pearly Gates in the bridge. At this time I am really into the PG pups, a CC is also a good choice for a bridge pup as well as a Custom 5, or the old stand by...which is a GREAT pickup for lots of different style is a 59! Lots of other people are gonna suggest SSL-1's or Surfers for the neck and middle...it's all a matter of taste! The SSL-1's or Surfers are gonna have a more vintage Strat kind os tone while the APS-2's and Texas Hots are more middy and as Lew would say Chewy!!! Either option would be a good one!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Well what kind of music do you play and what kind of sound are you looking for??

I don't see how people can suggest pickups without knowing that.

And what's wrong with Dimarzio?? Silly people.

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
        Well what kind of music do you play and what kind of sound are you looking for??

I don't see how people can suggest pickups without knowing that.

And what's wrong with Dimarzio?? Silly people.

i have just never really found a DiMarzio that I really liked..
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

So,i'm playing mostly metal music.I want to add that i don't want all-in-one pickup cuz most of the time those pickups suck in all.I was thinking about Full Shred in bridge,but don't know what to put in neck.My stock bridge pickup sucks for soloing,so i want to change with this set.Also i'll probably move middle pickup out.It would be dumb to buy it and never use it.I want neck pickup to be....what should i say...like YJM.But not exactly like that.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            i have just never really found a DiMarzio that I really liked..

Well that doesn't even make any sense. Just because YOU don't like them doesn't mean everyone else should stay away from them.

That's like the whole Gibsons are better than Fenders thing....

Comment

Originally posted by Abaddon
              So,i'm playing mostly metal music.I want to add that i don't want all-in-one pickup cuz most of the time those pickups suck in all.I was thinking about Full Shred in bridge,but don't know what to put in neck.My stock bridge pickup sucks for soloing,so i want to change with this set.Also i'll probably move middle pickup out.It would be dumb to buy it and never use it.I want neck pickup to be....what should i say...like YJM.But not exactly like that.

What bands tones do you like for the rhythm sound or want your tone near??

For the neck if you want to sound something like YJM then get the Dimarzio YJM DP217....it's his pickup. And I'm doubting it will not sound "exactly" like that since you probably have a different setup than him. The only bad thing about that pickup is that it might not balance well with a really hot bridge pickup since it is fairly low output.

Comment

You should get a DiMarzio Evolution bridge pup... and buy it from me
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I want sound near Cacophony's.I like their lead work.And also that rythm.
                  That doesn't mean i want sound exactly as their.I would play it through '69 plexi and few distortion pedals.I'm aware of them using compressors and **** like that.So,something neo-classical-ish for neck and something hot for bridge.

Comment

I've got '78 DMZ Super Distortion in the neck of my Kramer, and I love it. Other than that, I don't hve too much experience with DMZ. It seems like SD has about every thing covered as far as hums and sinlge-coils. They could do with a variety of soapbars. For metal maybe a Super Dist. Neck? The JB is supposed to be killer in the neck as well. Some Hot Rails maybe? My "metal" guitar only has a bridge p/u, so I suppose I'm not much help.

Comment

Working...
                    X