Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Distortion 8

Anyone tried it?

What to expect? (in comparison with the stock ceramic version)
    Last edited by Frogman; 08-25-2012, 08:13 AM.

Re: Super Distortion 8

Noone's ever done this mod??

Comment

Gonna try this again.

Anyone?

Comment

I am guessing it has sth to do with the bar magnet being thicker than the usual one, which means you'd either have to find an A8 magnet of equal thickness (difficult) or try to fashion some kind of spacer or sth to make it work.

Point is, it's not a drop-in replacement like the rest.
        Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
        I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
        Originally posted by That90'sGuy
        Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

the ceramic is glued

Comment

Originally posted by Maynardo View Post
            the ceramic is glued
            Since when? I pulled apart 5 super distortions with ease. Stop with the internet hearsay.

I didnt try it cause i dont feel the need. The super distortion kicks major ass just the way it is.

Comment

Oh, just thought of that, just to clarify we're talking about the DiMarzio Super Distortion or the Duncan Distortion?

Cause I was talking about the latter and it just dawned to me, I remember reading here that it actually used the JB bobbins which means, a JB-8 is the same thing as a Duncan Distortion 8.

If it's the DM Super Distortion, I don't remember anyone mention here modding a DM pickup but I do also remember reading here that they do all kinds of non-standard stuff on their pickups like gluing parts or using more-complex-than-usual assembly techniques so it's possibly not gonna be as simple...
              Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
              Originally posted by That90'sGuy
              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Just because it's glued doesn't mean you can't do a magnet swap. It just means that it is not a "slide out-slide in" affair like with most humbuckers. You just have to break it out of the glue, and then re-glue the new magnet.

FWIW, I asked this same question a few weeks ago, so I am hoping to hear some good answers.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The mag isnt glued on either... And the coils of the duncan distortion are not the same as the jb. Just very similar and it gave me great results on the duncan distortion. Bit more organic and less fizzy highs.

Comment

I broke the magnet out of a super distortion... I couldn't get it to seperate from the glue so I just kinda hacked at the sides until the magnet was in pieces... I used a epiphone spacer and some magnets... I am not a big A8 guy but it did sound pretty nice... the treble seemed less present and it got a ton of mids... I liked the A2 in it... hehe but it lacked bass.... (the A2). I had it in an SG.

I don't really know what to say other than try it. It's a good sounding and slightly unique pickup.

Maybe my way wasn't the best but I was getting frustrated and just broke the magnet up haha.
                    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Am I the only one who is reading Super Distortion as Super Distortion?
                      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        Am I the only one who is reading Super Distortion as Super Distortion?
                        I am talking about the Dimarzio Super Distortion....
                        Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                        Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                          I am talking about the Dimarzio Super Distortion....
                          Yeah, I was being facetious. You and a few others are. Others are talking about the Distortion.
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                            The mag isnt glued on either... And the coils of the duncan distortion are not the same as the jb. Just very similar and it gave me great results on the duncan distortion. Bit more organic and less fizzy highs.
                            Maybe the ones that youve messed with havent been glued. I know my super D sure as heck is glued in. A hair dryer and a screw driver would not get it out. This is not heresy either. So atleast during some of the production runs I have no idea which YES THEY WERE GLUED IN!
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I bought mine new in 2009 and the ceramic magnet is glued in.

Comment

Working...
                              X