Advice on some new SD s please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on some new SD s please...

So I threw a JB and a Pearly Gates into my Les Paul, and I love it. I am extremely pleased with my new tone... but...

I can't get as clean of a clean tone as I would like to have. (Eyaup, I have an amp with multiple channels, so I belive it is pick-up output that's making the difference here. Correct me if I am maybe incorrect.)

SO... What might I try with a similar tone, but with a tad less output?

Thanks in advance!!!

Re: Advice on some new SD s please...

Originally posted by echofinger
    So I threw a JB and a Pearly Gates into my Les Paul, and I love it. I am extremely pleased with my new tone... but...

I can't get as clean of a clean tone as I would like to have. (Eyaup, I have an amp with multiple channels, so I belive it is pick-up output that's making the difference here. Correct me if I am maybe incorrect.)

SO... What might I try with a similar tone, but with a tad less output?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Tell us where you have your pickup heights at? Maybe you need to lower them a bit? Small adjustments with pickups make big changes..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I would agree with John. Those aren't extremely high gain pickups, probably comparable in power to what you originally had. Also, I'm probably sounding like Captain Obvious, but try backing off the volume and tone to 6 or 7 if you haven't already. I have Custom/Alnico II in my Les Paul, and they both clean up real well - even the Custom which has high output.

If that doesn't work, you might consider a Jazz in the neck. That would probably be a slam dunk for clean, plus it sounds fantastic for high gain leads.
      Originally posted by Scott_F
      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Egads... lowering them... duh!!!

Worst part is I raised one to match volume with the other after the guitar guy did a half-assed job, guess I ain't as bright as I thought.

Sorry, bit new to the tweaking your tone game, thanks for the advice without tearing me a new one!
        Last edited by echofinger; 11-27-2004, 11:06 PM.

Comment

People like me who live in glass houses never throw stones. Glad to help.
          Originally posted by Scott_F
          On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Working...
          X