Double Fat Strat Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Fat Strat Question

I've decided on a SH-6 Duncan Distortion (bridge) and a SH-10 Full Shred (neck) combination for my son's Double Fat Strat. Here's my question:

The top of the existing pickups have two screws with one at the bottom of the pickguard. Does this mean I have to by the Trembuckers or will the SH pickups fit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Double Fat Strat Question

You should buy a TB-6 for the bridge, and an SH-10 for the neck. Either will fit, but the trem-spaced Distortion's pole pieces will line up with the strings better.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
      You should buy a TB-6 for the bridge, and an SH-10 for the neck. Either will fit, but the trem-spaced Distortion's pole pieces will line up with the strings better.
      Not always the case! Trembuckers do not fit as well as regular spaced humbuckers in my trem equipped Strat. Measure your string spacing!

Comment

Originally posted by big_black
        Not always the case! Trembuckers do not fit as well as regular spaced humbuckers in my trem equipped Strat. Measure your string spacing!
        This is true, the Trembucker would not fit into the pickguard of my American Fender Double fat strat, but the regular one fit fine.

Comment

I just had my 2000 American Series Strat converted into a Double Fat Strat. There's a Jazz in the neck, and a '59 Trembucker in the bridge. I just compared the string spacing at the bridge to the poles on both pick-ups. The poles of the Jazz (regular spaced) are slightly narrower than the string spacing at the bridge, and the poles of the '59 (trem-spaced) are slightly wider. It seems to me that none of them are an "exact" fit at the bridge. The regular-spaced Jazz is a good fit at the neck, though.

I think Fender cuts their pickguards to fit the regular-spaced pick-ups. When my '59 Trembucker was installed, the hole had to be widened a bit. I believe that the Pearly Gates Plus (stock bridge pup on the Big Apple Strat) is a regular spaced pup. You'd think that Fender would've used the trem-spaced pups on their Strats!

Comment

Working...
          X