Stock Standard SG needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stock Standard SG needs help

Not tough at all...just unwrap the fabric tape from around the perimeter of the pickup, unscrew the four screws from the bottom of the baseplate, slide the old magnet out, and slide the new one in. The only thing you need to be careful about is that the new magnet needs to be oriented the same way as the old one, with north and south facing the same way as they did with the original magnet. Otherwise, the pickups would be out of phase with one another when you have both pickups selected. An alnico 5 magnet costs about $5, you can get one from here:

There's no need to stick with the same magnet type. Lots of people like Alnico 5 in the bridge and Alnico 2 in the neck. That happens to be my favorite pairing.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I have a 59n/custom combination in my SG, and I get some awesome rock/blues tones out of it if that helps at all.
      thereveling.com

Comment

This forum is a tone chaser dream really! On recommendations I'd say the jazz/jb or set of 59's or a C5 in the bridge. In my opinion a solid mahogany guitar needs A5 mags to brighten it. On the magnet note I personally like A5's in the neck I think it cleans up the sound. I like the A2 in the bridge because it keeps the top end from getting harsh. Thus my Jazzn/A2P bridge combo in my heritage.

Luke

P.S. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!
        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

As far as spiiting coils on humbuckers... do I then need to play with both pickups on? Are there any other wiring tricks that I want to consider when going to 4 conductor pickups?

Comment

You don't need to play with both pickups on when the coil split is activated, but you may get some hum with just one pickup selected. If you wire it properly, you will get a hum cancelling effect when both pickups are split and selected at the same time. If you want to go all out, you could always do the Jimmy Page wiring. It's a pretty complex wiring scheme, so it might be kind of expensive if you're paying a tech to do it. I don't remember exactly what it involves, but it gives you a couple of different wiring tricks you can do using four push/pull pots.

Ryan
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

What exactly is the "Jimmy Page" wiring scheme?

Comment

Any other thoughts on the L.R. Baggs X-Bridge/T-Bridge?

thanks you,

Ransom
                Last edited by Ransom; 12-13-2004, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X