57 Classic vs Pearly Gates neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Classic vs Pearly Gates neck?

Anyone have experience with both of these? If so, how do they differ? alot?

Im just put a PG in the bridge of my Trad pro and am liking it. I had to lower the neck pup to match and am getting alot of good tones, but the neck pup tone is still very dark.. Im considering a swap, but it doesnt sound bad and Im broke, so Im trying to see if its going to really be worth it.

Any tips on brightening the 57?

Thanks!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: 57 Classic vs Pearly Gates neck?

If you just want the neck pup to be a bit brighter you can try to put in a 1meg pot on the neck volume (you mean Les paul traditional right?). On hot roding an ax read these guys page: http://www.griblinengineering.com/archives.htm

Comment

I posted a couple of suggestions on your other thread

Comment

the PGn is nice and warm but the upper mids help it sound bright enough. You like your PGb and so I've got a feeling that you'll find the PGn just right.

I'm not very keen on the 57. It's to dark for me. I'll take a PGn, 59n, BB1, 490R, or A2P any day over the dang 57.

I'd say wait til you can swap, and just swap.
        Perhaps try an A3 or A4 mag in there in the mean time, if you have or can get a hold of the mags. The 57 seems hot enough that A3 shouldn't sound too weak/lame in there, and that should help with balancing volume too. A4 usually sounds pretty balanced.

Comment

So the 57 is dark by nature and not just my ears?? ok.. I do have an AIIp laying around. wont hurt to pop it in I spose. Just that its all black.. But hey, tone first right?? See how that is and may try the PGn when I can..
          Ive only ever had a couple matching sets in all my years. I have a Rebel yell set in my Burny LP. I had an AIIp neck and bridge in a LP years ago for a day or two.. I didnt care for the bridge and put a Suhr aldrich in it.

Perhaps the Pg set will get my yayas..
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

yeah dude I absolutely find it dark. I think it's just that it has that A2 treble roll off, some of them are wound up to 8K, and they have a smooth midrange that kind of makes things not stand out.
            Personally, the A2P for me also has those super smooth mids that just lack "bite" but not as much as the 57.

I like the PGn a lot but I'm still not sold on it being the ultimate duncan neck PAF. Some people like a little more roundness to everything. I like a little more snap and edge, so I often find the '59 a little more to my taste, especially with A4.

Comment

I have a '57 Classic Plus with an UOA5 mag and it sounds pretty bright to me... almost too bright for the Gibson L-5 CES copy it's in; I was thinking of putting an A4 there and call it a day.

EDIT: it's written NECK in subject... DOH! I've missed that bit completely and now I feel like a complete schmuck.

My new favorite mag for '57 Classic NECK: UOA5. Beats everything else out there for clarity, 3D, dynamics and overall vintage tone.

BloodRose, try it. You owe it to yourself!

HTH,
              Last edited by LtKojak; 07-17-2011, 03:04 AM.

Comment

57n can sound dark...

I'd say with a bit patience, you could get a PGn or Seth-n whatever comes your way in the forum classified...

No?

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

i find the gibson 57 to be a totally uninspiring pickup. Makes good guitars sound constipated. But i will add that ive never swapped magnets.
                  Last edited by Chickenwings; 07-17-2011, 03:55 AM.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Ok, thanks all! Im glad its not just me being stoopid picky. Fuse, Ive used 59s and 59bs in the necks of many guitars. and I have a 59b/4 in the neck of my Explorer and 59/4 in my Washie MG104. (C8s in the bridge..)
                    Im just looking for a different flavor on this one. Plus, I think the guitar is alil dark sounding, so want something to liven it up alil. The 59s may be too dark. Ill try the Aiip since I have it, but will try a PGn, when I can afford one.

Where can I get a U0a5? figure its worth a try

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Make sure to try a a3 or a4 in a2p!

B
                      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I tried the '57 classic in the neck of my les paul and it was very dark and muddy (prolly due to the A2 mag). I did love the tone though on clean. Very rich, warm, 3D tones out of it, but it was just too dark and muddy under gain. Might be better suited for an SG or strat type guitar.
                        2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
                        Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
                        Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

first try to set the neck pup lower approx 1.5mm then raise the pup at the e-b-g strings or keep it down and raise just the Pup screwes for e-b-g strings very often this
                          gets a little openess / brighter. next step buy some 5$ A4 and A5 magnets and try
                          this A5s will bring more heights in the PUP.
                          Last edited by bluefrog; 07-18-2011, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                            the PGn is nice and warm but the upper mids help it sound bright enough. You like your PGb and so I've got a feeling that you'll find the PGn just right.

I'm not very keen on the 57. It's to dark for me. I'll take a PGn, 59n, BB1, 490R, or A2P any day over the dang 57.

I'd say wait til you can swap, and just swap.
                            Perhaps try an A3 or A4 mag in there in the mean time, if you have or can get a hold of the mags. The 57 seems hot enough that A3 shouldn't sound too weak/lame in there, and that should help with balancing volume too. A4 usually sounds pretty balanced.
                            +1. With the stock mags, PGN is the better PU. A '57 in the neck is dark and sometimes muddy. However, I put an A5 in my '57 and an A3 in my PGN to get more treble out of both. Then both are very good. UOA5's are also good options for both any A2 neck PU.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

The Alnico II Slash neck is excellent. Bright enough to cut but still warm and fat.
                              Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Working...
                              X