HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

What is the inductance (henry) of the 59/custom?
    How about the inductance of the 59N/Jazz for the neck?
    Just curious as I recently read the typical strat is 2.3, PAF is 4.4 and some shred pickups go as high as 8.0.
    Last edited by caprae; 06-14-2006, 06:54 PM.

Comment

BachToRock: On the 59N/Jazz, which screw plate do you prefer to keep for coil splitting?

Comment

Originally posted by caprae
        What is the inductance (henry) of the 59/custom?
        How about the inductance of the 59N/Jazz for the neck?
        Just curious as I recently read the typical strat is 2.3, PAF is 4.4 and some shred pickups go as high as 8.0.
        I have no freakin idea... no way or need to measure it?
        I measure tone with my ears...
        Last edited by BachToRock; 06-14-2006, 07:46 PM.
        GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

BachToRock: On the 59N/Jazz, which screw plate do you prefer to keep for coil splitting?
          Not sure I understand your question... what is a screw plate?
          GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

what are the benefits of the 59/Jazz hybrid? I thought they used the same gauge wire
            Fender Stratocaster - EMG 81/85 (camo)
            Ibanez RG550 - Invader (b)
            Taylor 110E Acoustic
            Traynor YCV 20
            Brice 5 String Jazz Bass

Comment

Originally posted by BachToRock
              Not sure I understand your question... what is a screw plate?
              This comes from the lack of knowledge of the terms. You said you had a pref for which coil of the 59/custom hybrid had the screws only when you have a setting to split the coil. Do you also have a favorite when you make the 59/Jazz neck when you have a coil split setting? My Schecter has a 59 neck and the 4th position splits the coil.
              Last edited by caprae; 06-14-2006, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dasfonzie
                what are the benefits of the 59/Jazz hybrid? I thought they used the same gauge wire
                Same gauge...
                Different insulation...
                Different wind...
                GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

This comes from the lack of knowledge of the terms.
                  Please enlighten me... what is a "screw plate"
                  GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Please enlighten me... what is a "screw plate"
                    You're kiliin' me here BTR

Comment

I meant the coil with the screws in it that you refer to early in this thread.

"The main difference is if you wire up a split switch... the Custom Coil sounds better as the split coil... it's around 7.2k which is really nice. That said... it will be Brighter when in split mode if you use the Custom screw/59 slug..."

Which screw and which slug do you prefer for the 59/jazz neck hybrid whis a split switch?

I'm just trying to educate myself. I admit that I don't know the names of all of the parts of a pickup. I am open to a good link that breaks one down and shows the parts and describes how each part works. Heck, until I saw your pictures I thought the magnet was inside the coil.
                      Last edited by caprae; 06-14-2006, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I apologize... I thought you were insinuating my "lack of knowledge of the terms"
                        I am getting old and have had a glass or three of wine, so I might not be at the peak level of perception at the moment...

The SLUG coil is the default active coil when splitting a Duncan humbucker...

It is a matter of personal taste when considering which sounds "best"... I will always state my personal opinion, but somebody else might prefer otherwise.

That said, both the Jazz Coil and 59 Coil sound great when split since they are pretty similar... the Jazz being a bit more articulate...
                        Last edited by BachToRock; 06-14-2006, 09:20 PM.
                        GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

I apologize... I thought you were insinuating my "lack of knowledge of the terms"
                          I am getting old and have had a glass or three of wine, so I might not be at the peak level of perception at the moment...

No way. I'm the weed-hopper here learning from the master (and I'm a good 8 yrs older, too). I've always been afraid to tear apart a pickup but you make it look so easy that I'm willing to try. I should've done some research on exact names of the parts first. All's cool. And a sincere Thank You for your advice, opinions and help.

Comment

Hey BachToRock,
                            Could you direct me to the pics again? I've decided to begin doing this.I have single braided conductor and wondered if this would be a problem. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

NO! I just got my Jazz neck to go with the 59 neck and was hoping to do it this weekend. Please repost the pics.
                              Last edited by caprae; 06-19-2006, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Please repoet the pics! I just a laid everything out in the work area!!.. came to the computer to print the pics for reference nd ....... OH NO!! hahahahaha

Please repost! much obliged!
                                --------------------------------------------------------
                                "Have a good time .... all the time. That's my philosophy Marty."
                                Viv Savage 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X