• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

Agreed on the JB/C and the J/59n.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Bumpin' a thread that should still be a "sticky" FOREVER, in gratitude to BachToRock for teaching us (and mind you; the Duncan Co. as well) to think outside the box.

Just for the sake of it!

Comment

BUMP. STICKY THIS.

I just made my first successful hybrid out of OEM pickups thanks to this thread.

Comment

Im thinking about trying a 59/custom now to compare it to the jb/custom ive got. I think duncan used 59 screw/custom slug. Anybody try it opposite with the custom screw?

Comment

ltkojak,
            You use it with a8 mag right? how does it compare to C8?

Comment

Originally posted by dvanburen View Post
              ltkojak,
              You use it with a8 mag right? how does it compare to C8?
              It doesn't. One sounds great and the other makes my teeth ache.

I'm not very impartial in this case...

Anyway, a great-sounding magnet is the UnOriented ceramic. It sounds and behaves just like an A5, but without the infamous "mid scoop".

If I was a p'up maker, I'd make a series of p'ups based on this magnet.
              Last edited by LtKojak; 08-19-2013, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I meant the Custom 8 sorry... not C8 ceramic mag. I actually like the A8 better in the custom/jb better than the ceramic. Im going to try the 59/custom hybrid with a8 mag. Just wanted to get your thoughts on it compared to just the custom 8

Comment

never heard of an unoriented ceramic. Sounds interesting. Where do you get em'?

Comment

I just want to say, this thread is what got me started with guitar modding, and forums in general.

Were it not for the strong GAS arising from this 59/custom thread, I would never have bought a soldering iron, nor would I have ever tried to swap any of my own pickups. Please mods, sticky this thread. Clean it up if you have to, but sticky it.
                    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

never heard of an unoriented ceramic. Sounds interesting. Where do you get em'?

Scroll down until you find it.

HTH,

Comment

I meant the Custom 8 sorry... not C8 ceramic mag. I actually like the A8 better in the custom/jb better than the ceramic. Im going to try the 59/custom hybrid with a8 mag. Just wanted to get your thoughts on it compared to just the custom 8
                        Less punch, more articulation, slightly sharper pick attack. I think it sounds slightly "better" in the clean and early breakup dept. than the A8 Custom. It still sings with authority, but it also show more "sophistication" as well. Kind like a once street-smart guy AFTER graduating from college. Is this making any sense to you?

To be completely honest, I'm not really your guy to ask 'bout tone in the heavier side dept (meaning dark metal, djent, hardcore, etc), as I just don't like the genre, so don't think I'm impartial enough to give those tones a fair judgement.

When I setup instruments for the heavies, I look for general evenness for the notes to come out and to prevent'em to mush out when the gain goes up... as a result, many of them have actually learned to back out the gain to get "better" tone. Unfortunately, some guy seems to have amp gain associated with masculinity, so they're ALWAYS asking for more, not using their ears to hear tone, but their eyes to "go to eleven". A bit like Nigel Tufnel, LOL!

HTH,
                        Last edited by LtKojak; 08-24-2013, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                          Less punch, more articulation, slightly sharper pick attack. I think it sounds slightly "better" in the clean and early breakup dept. than the A8 Custom. It still sings with authority, but it also show more "sophistication" as well. Kind like a once street-smart guy AFTER graduating from college. Is this making any sense to you?

To be completely honest, I'm not really your guy to ask 'bout tone in the heavier side dept (meaning dark metal, djent, hardcore, etc), as I just don't like the genre, so don't think I'm impartial enough to give those tones a fair judgement.
                          HTH,
                          Yeah it does Thanks. I figured it would have less punch and that is why ive been hesitant to try it. Sophisticated is a good word to describe it. the C8 has this wild animal kind of sound, which i really love but I can see where the hybrid would be a bit tamer and "together" sounding. The thing that appealed to me about the other hybrids I have tried is that sound with the mismatched coils. Its hard to describe but there is grind to the sound. Its harmonically complex. Its hard to put a finger on but you know it when you hear it. I have tried the custom with other coils wound in 44g wire (jb and DD) and they are very very cool, but its a bit too much for me with the A8 mag and just not quite enough punch. Custom 8 really is almost perfect but I miss that "grind" i spoke of. I want to try the 59/custom because I think it would be cool but it might be too tame.

What else could I pair with the custom 8 for a hybrid? PG maybe to give it some grit?

Also, I want to ask. Sorry if its stupid but I dont know. Could the custom shop build a custom 8 but maybe wind one of the custom coils a bit hotter? Would that give it a similar sound as a hybrid, but yet still retain the signature custom 8 sound?

Comment

Could the custom shop build a custom 8 but maybe wind one of the custom coils a bit hotter? Would that give it a similar sound as a hybrid, but yet still retain the signature custom 8 sound?
                            You just have to explain Maricela 'bout what you want, pay up and she'll deliver what's asked and, more times than not, then some.

The thing I don't get about you is WHY you keep messing with perfection, already obtained with the A8 Custom?

If I was you, I'd focus to play the darned instrument and make some MUSIC with it. Isn't that why you learned to play a guitar in the first place?

HTH,

Comment

oh believe me i play the damn thing. alot!

Listen here man, you were one of the guys who convinced my to start swapping mags in the first place. Then when i got to making hybrids i got hooked and i cant stop. I want to try them all and see what I can come up with. custom 8 is perfect for now until i find something else

Comment

oh believe me i play the damn thing. alot!
                                Ok, I'll take your word for it.

Listen here man, you were one of the guys who convinced my to start swapping mags in the first place.
                                What, so now I'm your pusher????

Then when i got to making hybrids i got hooked and i cant stop.
                                See, that's your problem right there, which I don't have anything to do with!

Your Honor, I rest my case!

I want to try them all and see what I can come up with. custom 8 is perfect for now until i find something else
                                You need a bloody cold turkey, if you ask me...

I kid, I kid. Just yankin' your chain.

EDIT: I just saw that I forgot the emoticons in the last post... sorry, it happens to men of a certain age, you know?
                                Last edited by LtKojak; 08-24-2013, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X