Phat Cat Set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phat Cat Set?

Would a set of phat cats go good in a basswood/rw neck guitar? Im looking for blusey cleans, and a hot distortion. The guitar seems to be naturally bright but vibrates really well, so im wondering if a set of phat cats would make it sound good? Thanks.
    There is no spoone
    - The Matricks

Re: Phat Cat Set?

I've got a set of PhatCats in an alder-bodied tele, and that's exactly the sound that I get. I think that basswood shouldn't be too different.
    I love these pickups!

Paul
    1992 Tom Anderson Drop Top w/ Joe Barden's
    Warmoth Tele Deluxe with SD Phat Cats
    Tone King Meteor 30

Comment

COOOL, that sounds pretty good. I really love the tone of this guitar accousticlly it vibrates really well, i think the phat cats would be great!
      There is no spoone
      - The Matricks

Comment

I have a set in my Epi Sheraton. If you are putting the set in your guitar, you had better really like the way it sounds unplugged. With these pickups you will hear a LOT of your guitar coming through them. They do have their own flavor, but if you have a guitar that doesn't sound great unplugged, that will come through the PC's. The cleans are great from all positions, and they really hit my amp's front end hard (the bridge unit, at least). You can play hard rock and metal with these (I do), but it will be brighter than a humbucker. You might consider a Phat Cat in the neck and some kind of humbucker in the bridge. I feel that the 59, Pearly Gates, or Custom would match up well with a PC at the neck.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

That sounds perfect! Because as i just said that u prob didnt catch. I LOVE THE SOUND ACCOUSTICALLY! IT sounds really good and vibrates really well. Will it be way too bright to have 2 in it?
          There is no spoone
          - The Matricks

Comment

Originally posted by Armotron
            That sounds perfect! Because as i just said that u prob didnt catch. I LOVE THE SOUND ACCOUSTICALLY! IT sounds really good and vibrates really well. Will it be way too bright to have 2 in it?

I didn't catch it because you type faster than I do.

I just didn't feel like going back and editing the whole thing.

It won't be too bright to have 2, the combined position is really nice actually. It will be very different from a humbucker bridge tone, however. If you're used to a high output bridge unit, you might be put off by the PC bridge model, thinking that it's quiet and skinny. If you're coming from a traditional strat, it'll definately sound thicker and chunkier than what you're used to.

What do you have in the guitar now?

Comment

invader bridge, and jb neck lol. I guess im used to high output you might say, but i can sacrifice that for good tone, if thats what that setup'd get me. I love the sound of strats so you could say i could do without high output.
              There is no spoone
              - The Matricks

Comment

should i go for the phat cat set?
                There is no spoone
                - The Matricks

Comment

I don't see why not.

Comment