Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick-up combination

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a custom Jackson. Archtop body (mahogany, quilted maple top), not sure if it's going to be a neck-thru or bolt-on (Dinky or Soloist). Vintage (Wilkinson?) trem.
    H-S-S configuration.
    I want this to be a very all-round, warm sounding guitar to play pop(rock), fusion, blues, jazz if possible.
    I want to get some nice single-coils sounds out of it and the humbucker should sound nice clean as well but smooth and warm when overdriven, maybe able for some shredding (and metal?) too.

Any suggestions on combinations? Especially on SC I have no clue.
    Qua humbucker maybe a custom custom? But won't this be too many mids in a mahogany body? How does it sound clean?

thanks
    When the road gets tough, the tough get roadies

My gear

Re: Pick-up combination

PS: the sc must have enough output but should sound 'soft', not too much treble/'quack'

My gear

Comment

for an all around, do everything guitar id say something like a lil 59 in the neck, a ssl2 in the middle. the lil 59 will give you nice warm tones, the ssl will give you some spank and a great jangly clean for pop stylings and the notch tone will be beefier than that of a strat with less quack.
      the cc will probably sound good in that guitar, i think it matches up well with mahogany for a full warm tone. nice cleans for a hotter pup too

Comment

I like the Custom Custom in the bridge, but I preffer real singles in the neck and mid for truer strat tones. My choice would be the APS flats in the neck and middle.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Can a Li'l '59 be split?
          How does a split humbucker sound in comparison with a sc? Can you get a sc-sound out of a split humbucker?

thanks

My gear

Comment

anybody?

Anyway,
            if I'd have a H-S-H combination instead, what about the Alnico II Pro as neck humbucker? Does it sound split as a single coil?

Thanks

My gear

Comment

Working...
            X