banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which pickups for this Godin HSH guitar, oh wise ones? :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pickups for this Godin HSH guitar, oh wise ones? :)

Neck: Rock Maple
    Fingerboard: Rosewood w/ Radius 12”
    Body: Silverleaf Maple center w/ Poplar wings

So the guitar is the Godin Freeway SA

It's Godin's bread and butter.

Yes, it has synth capability but I'm just interested in which conventional pickups to swap in. It's for my 16-year-old son living in another country; he probably plays a diversity of stuff including probably some high-output stuff.

Thanks much for ideas!!!
    -- P

"Dry your eyes, my Sonic friends!"

Re: Which pickups for this Godin HSH guitar, oh wise ones?

Custom in the bridge, JB in the neck, and an SSL in the middle.

The Custom will give more beef than the JB in the bridge for the high-output stuff, and the JB in the neck will not be as dark as the Custom in the neck would be. Plus it does great cleans and splits well, so it will work nicely with the single in the middle.

Plus, being a relatively bright-toned guitar due to the maple core, neck, and top, the Custom will not accentuate or compound the natural highs like the JB would.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

Custom in the bridge, JB in the neck, and an SSL in the middle.

The Custom will give more beef than the JB in the bridge for the high-output stuff, and the JB in the neck will not be as dark as the Custom in the neck would be. Plus it does great cleans and splits well, so it will work nicely with the single in the middle.

Plus, being a relatively bright-toned guitar due to the maple core, neck, and top, the Custom will not accentuate or compound the natural highs like the JB would.

Comment

Wow, okay! Just when I was ready to give up on the users group, you come in with this thoughtful, knowledgeable reply! THANKS!!

About the bridge, simple Custom? Not "Custom Custom" or "Custom 5"? (Or DiMarzio Superdistortion?)

Just asking! Thanks so much for your insight!! Best,

--p
        -- P

Comment

The CC might be too dark, even with the extra maple. By contrast, the C5 might be too bright.

IMO a hot pickup like the SuperD might cause too much mush.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

Godin's are quite nice. I would not put anything aftermarket in the guitar until he has played it for a bit. It is not often a good idea to do modifications for other people. Let him try it stock, and then modify to his own taste if needed, IMO.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-28-2011, 04:10 AM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              Godin's are quite nice. I would not put anything aftermarket in the guitar until he has played it for a bit. It is not often a good idea to do modifications for other people. Let him try it stock, and then modify to his own taste if needed, IMO.
              This!

Comment

The above advice, all of it, is much respected and sincerely valued.

In synthesizing the above, I can offer the specific suggested Duncan pickups to him if he wants them (or others if he prefers), but not go out and buy them and let him get to know the Godin first. This way he'll know that we all thought about his birthday gift and made a consensus view with his satisfaction in mind. And he gets to consider the advice and make the decision himself whenever he wishes to; that is fun in itself.

It's gratifying to be thought about and I think the result will be a really special birthday for him. You all contributed to that, and it's really a nice thing.

Thank you so much!!
                -- P

Comment

And, along the same lines of this discussion, but different. I have the Godin Freeway Classic, which does not have Synth capability. Maple Neck, alder wings in body (poplar I think for body?), and HSH configuration. I'm doing Funk/Blues/R&B, and I really liked the results of putting the Hotrodded Humbucker set from Seymour Godin in my Godin LG Hmb (mahogany body and neck and rosewood fingerboard). I am wondering about putting Hotrodded Humbucker in both H positions and the Vintage Rails in the Middle position. Are they compatible or are the electronics between the two sets not a good match for each other. Looking for some electronically more savvy input than what I have.

Comment

Working...
                  X