Good single coil for high gain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good single coil for high gain...

I'm thinking maybe I want a guitar that sounds a little different than the others, so I'm looking for a bridge single coil that would work for metal.

I'm wanting something stacked, but still retaining a Strat tone.

Anybody have any input?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Good single coil for high gain...

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
    I'm thinking maybe I want a guitar that sounds a little different than the others, so I'm looking for a bridge single coil that would work for metal.

I'm wanting something stacked, but still retaining a Strat tone.

Anybody have any input?
    Try a Duncan Cool Rails.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check into that.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

by stacked i assume that you mean a single sized bucker right??
        the cool rails or lil 59 is good for a versitile bridge pup, you might try a hot stack for strat also. it has a more stratty tone than the other two check the sound samples

Comment

For all out metal - Hot Rails

For a Strat tone - Vintage Rails

For a good compromise - Cool Rails
          Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

To clarify, let me explain: ALL my guitars have high output 'buckers, and I want something different. Rather than stacked, I should have said hum-cancelling. I want something with a single coil tone, but no buzz.

Right now, I'm really digging the tone of the Hot Stack. It appears to be the hottest hum-cancelling single, am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
              For all out metal - Hot Rails

For a Strat tone - Vintage Rails

For a good compromise - Cool Rails
              +1
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

You can use low output buckers for high gain - there's nothing wrong with that.
                Perhaps Vintage Rails?

Bee
                Originally posted by Kanye West
                Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

imho, with the exception of vintage rails, the rest of the rails family sounds like humbuckers. hot stack is a good option for being higher output and noiseless and yet sound like a strat. if i am looking for a noiseless, high output single coil for metal, i will go for the emg sa. my apologies for the blasphemy. just my 0.02.
                  the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

I tell ya, I was ready to immediately replace the bridge pup in my new strat w/ a medium to high output humbucker of some sort, as it's never been my thing in past (but love the tones of others who use them like Blackmore, Yngwie, early 80's Gary Moore). But I'm REALLY starting to like the tone of the bridge sc under high gain. With some tweaking of the guitar tone control and the amps tone controls, it's got enough punch without being twangy on the low strings, and it really "cuts" well for leads.

I may go with something with a lower output than I originally intended if I switch...I was thinking Hot Rails or a lil 59/SD, for the bridge, but the Cool Rails is really starting to sound like the good compromise as was said here previously.

I must be getting old
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

If you're not limiting yourself to Seymour Duncan only, check out the DiMarzio VirtuAl 2 (noticed the capitalized A). These pickups are designed for exactly what you need. Hum-cancelling, built for work under high-gain, natural tone of the SWEETEST single-coils due to the Alnico 2 magnet. I'll actually be looking to get myself a pair here soon.
                      Watch My Videos
                      Photography
                      www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
                      "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker
                        You can use low output buckers for high gain
                        Yep, IMO you get a HUGE distorted tone by running a low/mid output pickup into a high gain amp.
                        After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire
                          Yep, IMO you get a HUGE distorted tone by running a low/mid output pickup into a high gain amp.
                          Indeed. Especially good for power chords or melodic slower single note leads. The only problem is that low output pickups sometimes lose too much clarity under high gain.."mushy" sounding, so to speak. At least on the neck positions. Bridge positions can handle a bit more.
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I really want to get away from the rail pups, and anything humbucker-ish, aside from the noise-cancellation.

After all this, I bet I end up with a Hot Rails, or a Custom Shop Lil' Dimebucker
                            I don't take too well to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Biu
                              If you're not limiting yourself to Seymour Duncan only, check out the DiMarzio VirtuAl 2 (noticed the capitalized A). These pickups are designed for exactly what you need. Hum-cancelling, built for work under high-gain, natural tone of the SWEETEST single-coils due to the Alnico 2 magnet. I'll actually be looking to get myself a pair here soon.
                              As much as I hate to say this, I think I am limiting myself to Duncan. I've had 3 DiMarzio pups in the last few months, and have ended up with kind of a blah feeling about all of them. I think I just like the more meaty Duncan sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X