emg 60 bridge??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emg 60 bridge??

I just bought a jackson SL1... I'm not a fan of the JB so if I'm ever going to try active pickups this is the guitar to do it. I know everyone likes the 81 but I don't want a bridge pickup that screams and is bright sounding the whole time. I'm needing a similiar pickup as far as the clarity and sustain just a more round sound. So who has tried the 60 in the bridge and how does it sound???
    Speak through your fingers

Re: emg 60 bridge??

i got no idea who ever used the 60 in the bridge.. but if you're in for a more balanced sound.. the 85 or 89's are prolly the ones to get

dont have 1st hand experience with EMG's to tell you exactly what to look for. sorry

Comment

EMG60 in the bridge is also very bright bro, maybe not as shrill as the 81, but still pretty bright. Get an 85 or 89 (89 is the splittable 85, which are the SA single coils when split).

The 85 is full, round, and beats the 81 hands down in any position IMO. It also cleans up incredibly well! I think it might exactly be what you're looking for
      Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
      Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
      Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
      Marshall 2x12 Vintage
      Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

i think the dude from slipknot uses an emg 60 in a tele, not sure though
        "Your momma's whack, your granny's wack, I keep a handy wipe in my fanny pack" -Ill mitch

Comment

Originally posted by poopsmith921
          i think the dude from slipknot uses an emg 60 in a tele, not sure though
          Both dudes from Slipknot use 81(b) 60(n).
          They used to use 81(b) 85-jim/89-mick(n).
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

if you want to go active and do not want to try the emg81 (me too i do not like it) i would say you should try the emg85......it is less trebly than the 81 has more bass and lower mids and it is warmer and more natural while still being a high output pickup. Or the emg89 which is a splittable 85.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
              Both dudes from Slipknot use 81(b) 60(n).
              They used to use 81(b) 85-jim/89-mick(n).
              in stone sour the dude from slipknot uses 2 60's i think
              Originally posted by Aceman
              It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
                i got no idea who ever used the 60 in the bridge..

Actually, I have a pair in a USA Hamer Studio FM.

It's big, bright, and aggressive in both positions.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I have an 89 (Which is an 85 with an SA in the same casing) in the bridge of obne of my soloists, and it sounds to me like itīs exactly what you want, an 85
                  Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

yeah i thought about an 85.... its just hard to tell how it will sound cause I have a mesa rectoverb and those things already have a really meaty thick sound to them... but it sounds like the 85 is versitile enough to be eq'd.
                    Speak through your fingers

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250
                      in stone sour the dude from slipknot uses 2 60's i think
                      Josh Rand (the bald guy who plays Ibanez RGs) uses the 60/60 combo. Good reminder, though. I'd forgotten that.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                      X