Invader with Alnico 5 magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invader with Alnico 5 magnet?

Hey guys! So I'm wondering what a Synyster Gates invader (black with the chrome oxide caps) would sound like if the ceramic magnets were replaced with an Alnico5 Magnet? Especially in an Alder guitar with a neck with a Rosewood fingerboard.

Re: Invader with Alnico 5 magnet?

I've mag swapped a Detonator with an A5. I didn't much care for it, but the Deto doesn't have the spacer mags either. I didn't keep it in there long, so I can't really give you a good description, but if I were gonna try that again I would keep the ceramic spacer mags in it.

I just did this recenltly: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=226562

Comment

Bumping this cause I'd also like to know how it would sound. Add an Alnico 5 and call it the Duncan Punisher. Would it add a little brightness? The Invaders weakness has always been how dark it is and that the cleans are terrible because of the high output. Even though let's face it no matter what the cleans would be an afterthought cause you'd want it for metal. I'd love to know if anyone out there has tried it since I usually hate ceramics and this would be like an alternative.

The fact this has 850 views also means some more people should chime in cause it seems like others are very curious.
      Last edited by Ryan84; 06-11-2014, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I think it might be too scooped with an A5 for my liking, I've always wanted to try an Invader with an A2 or a Neo mag....

Comment

Make a double slug coil JB and call it a day.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

How about an Invader with the same mag setup as a Gibson Iommi? I bet it would be gnarly....

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
              I think it might be too scooped with an A5 for my liking, I've always wanted to try an Invader with an A2 or a Neo mag....
              with so much wire on it and being already dark with ceramic magnets, maybe not. I think A2 would be too bloated but neo could be ideal

Comment

Try it and find out. Then come back and let everyone know.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

What happens if the spacer magnets and the center magnet aren't the same type? Wouldn't the stronger magnet tend to degauss the weaker ones?

Comment

Dean Guitars makes the Michael Amott Tyrant. It's like the Invader, but with an Alnico 5 magnet. I'd say to try one of those out. They've gotten really good reviews.
                    1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                      Make a double slug coil JB and call it a day.
                      Yup, that's pretty much what I've heard.

FWIW I'm curious as to how that would sound.

Comment

Invader with an A5 would equal the "Knock forcefully and demand entrance" Not really the same thing is it?

A8 would be the "Kick the door in and enter"

A3 would be the "Knock and go away"

A2 would be the "Ask to be let in please , pretty please with sugar on top"

* Just making all this up, for the record…
                        Last edited by Aceman; 06-13-2014, 08:02 AM.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                        X