blackouts modular preamp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackouts modular preamp problem

Hi guys, a friend of mine recently bought the bmp for his prs.
    The problem is that his pickups are 3 conductor and not four.
    Has anybody found a way to connect them?
    I read that someone tried but with no success.
    Also Frank in his presentation video (questions answered) said that maybe with the right diagram this is possible.

any suggestion would be great.
    Also if I didn't find an answer to this and you know where it is please send me the link.

Thanks in advance
    Andreas

Re: blackouts modular preamp problem

Are they 3 conductor plus shield? If so, then they have a start (like our green) a coil junction (like our red and white twisted and soldered together) and a finish (like our black). The coil junction would go to ground (where our black or green goes) and the start and finish would go where the red and white are going on our Seymour Duncan diagram. The PRS pickup would be flipped inside out.

Comment

Hey Frank, thanks for your quick reply.
      Yes, they are 3 conductor plus shield.
      Your suggestion was my thought too but a guy said that no matter where he put the wires he would still get noise that he couldn't get rid of.
      I'll try your way and see what happens.
      Sorry for my bad english but what do you mean "flipped inside out"?

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
        Are they 3 conductor plus shield? If so, then they have a start (like our green) a coil junction (like our red and white twisted and soldered together) and a finish (like our black). The coil junction would go to ground (where our black or green goes) and the start and finish would go where the red and white are going on our Seymour Duncan diagram. The PRS pickup would be flipped inside out.
        I'd hate to be an idiot. I have a recent PRS with the 245/Mira pickups. I always do my wiring, but to eliminate any problems, could SD put a wiring diagram for PRS pickups with the Blackout Modular Preamp? Most recent ones are the 1 volume,1 tone, 3 way toggle and coil tap. I'd buy the BOMP in a second if I could get a PRS diagram for it somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
          I wired a Dragon II set like this last night and it sounds great clean and high gain.

IMO the pickups were kind of lifeless without the BMP. Now my tube amp is pushed just enough.

Thanks.

Comment

it is likely a send/+ and return/- and a dedicated ground. No matter how you look at it, each coil has two fundamental wiring points, a hot send, and a return, and then most metallic pickup bases are hard soldered with a dedicated ground.

I rewired a PRS Santana SE, that had a pair of G&B 2 lead humbuckers, both marked Santana, and marked neck and bridge.

I made a note of which direction the two humbuckers were facing, marked the north and south coils, which were a reversed pair of zebra color pickups, with black coils facing towards eachother and white coils facing away from eachother.

i dissected the pickup which was a send/hot going into the north side of the pickup, and that the return of the north coil was wired directly to the send of the south coil, effectively wiring them perfectly opposite eachother magnetically.

split the wire linking both coils in two, thats the return of each individual coil, the other wire coming out of the coil is the send or hot + side.

likely the negative pole of the pickup is wired directly or via a solder point to the grounded metal pickup base, if it has one and the pickup is screwed into the base. the santanas had a brass colored metal base the coils were screwed into. and then they were wax potted at the factory.

so, in seperating the (-) from the ground you get a wiring set of send return and ground. this should also be the case in a single coil where the ground and the negative are linked.

I got a little bit of noise only at the highest of gain settings wiring this way.
            Last edited by azatru; 08-23-2012, 08:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
            X