Ordered a Bluesbucker to replace the 57 Classic (neck) in my SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered a Bluesbucker to replace the 57 Classic (neck) in my SG

Didn't like how smooth and wooly the 57 Classic was in the neck of my SG. It's great in the bridge though. I'm hoping the Bluesbucker will significantly tighten and brighten things up. Steve Blucher at DiMarzio recommended that I put it in backwards (screw poles facing bridge). I'm also going to replace the 300k volume pot with a 500k one.
    Guitars: Red Special, Partscasters, Gibson Les Paul Standard and '61 Ri SG
    Amps: Tiny Terror, AC15HW1, and VHT Special 6
    Effects Chain: Q-Tron->Spark Booster->TU-2->TS808->Distortron->Dimension C->Spring Chicken->Flint->Flashback X4

Re: Ordered a Bluesbucker to replace the 57 Classic (neck) in my SG

Being a blues player, I bought a Bluesbucker thinking the same thing. But it's a 10K neck PU with a high-output ceramic magnet. Whoa! That's really hot, and powerful, which means it's not very bright-sounding in the neck slot. I put an A3 in mine to get more treble and clarity, & dial down the output, so it doesn't overpower the bridge PU. 'Bluesbucker' is the wrong name for that PU. It has nothing to do with PAF's or vintage sounds, and it may dominate your '57, which has a much lower resistance (ohms) and a low output A2 magnet.

If I was you, I'd change that order to one of their neck PAF's, or if you still want a Bluesbucker, see what it sounds like and swap mags if its too hot and dark for you.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      Being a blues player, I bought a Bluesbucker thinking the same thing. But it's a 10K neck PU with a high-output ceramic magnet. Whoa! That's really hot, and powerful, which means it's not very bright-sounding in the neck slot. I put an A3 in mine to get more treble and clarity, & dial down the output, so it doesn't overpower the bridge PU. 'Bluesbucker' is the wrong name for that PU. It has nothing to do with PAF's or vintage sounds, and it may dominate your '57, which has a much lower resistance (ohms) and a low output A2 magnet.

If I was you, I'd change that order to one of their neck PAF's, or if you still want a Bluesbucker, see what it sounds like and swap mags if its too hot and dark for you.
      Too late - it's been shipped. I hope I like it.
      Effects Chain: Q-Tron->Spark Booster->TU-2->TS808->Distortron->Dimension C->Spring Chicken->Flint->Flashback X4

Comment

It may work out for you. But if you don't have much experience buying PU's, it's always a good idea to run something like that by the forum and get some ideas and opinins before you make a final decision. Let us know what you think of it when you get it.
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I don't have any experience with the Bluesbucker, but like blueman said, if it's too hot and not bright enough swap an A3 in it. If you're using the '57 in the bridge, and you find that the Bluesbucker is too dominant over the '57, try an A5 or A8 in it to beef it up.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

if youre talking about the dimarzio bluesbucker the design is kinda interesting. it has two double thickness have depth ceramic magnets, like you see alot of times on cheap import single coils, that are on either side of the screws. the way it works as a bucker is that the slug coil is still in series with the screw coil, and it still is influenced about 1/3 to 1/2 by the magnetic field as a normal humbucker. it splits pretty good, and i personally do prefer it to be in the reverse position. i did find that in my Ibanez rt450 (alder rg) it had a bit too wooly sounding and less woody, i lucked out and a guy on here who at this moment his name escapes me, sent me some AlNiCo 5 mags of the same size and now the thing is a different beast. it sounds great split and full... a friend of mine even called it the most perfect neck pickup... whether or not i agree doesnt matter, but it defiantly is a versatile pickup
            sigpic
            Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
            Dunlop Crybaby
            MXR Custom Comp
            GFS Twin Overdrive
            Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
            Blackstar HT-DISTX
            Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Guys,

If I find the Bluesbucker too hot and thick for my liking, I'm considering wiring its coils in parallel instead of in series. Some posts on another discussion forum suggest this sounds like something in between a Strat-style single-coil and a P-90. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Lo View Post
                If I find the Bluesbucker too hot and thick for my liking, I'm considering wiring its coils in parallel instead of in series. Some posts on another discussion forum suggest this sounds like something in between a Strat-style single-coil and a P-90. Any thoughts on this?
                That makes sense. As an HB in series, it's 'too hot and thick' for the neck slot for many players, but should be nice in parallel. I wonder how a Bluesbucker would sound in the bridge slot with an alnico, like an A8 or UOA5. Hmmm...

Comment

I've always heard they are supposed to be very P90-ish in tone rather than a typical humbucker voicing. And that split the tone is very close to that of a stratty sound. Installing the pickup the wrong way is supposed to make it brighter and closer to a tele-ish sound.

I don't know because I've never had one in any of my guitars but if I were to get a set of dimarzios the bluesbucker, eric johnson sig, air classic, and 36th anniversary paf set are definitely on the list of to try humbuckers for me.

Comment

Originally posted by PRSfan nym 1985 View Post
                    I've always heard they are supposed to be very P90-ish in tone rather than a typical humbucker voicing.
                    There's no way a 10K ceramic neck HB is going to sound like a P-90, at least not in series. DMz has another HB or two they claim sound like P-90's...no, they don't. HB's sound like HB's. P-90's have a more open tone without the midrange focus of an HB, more cut and sparkle in the neck slot. That comes from a single coil.

Comment

like I said I hadn't tried them I was always a little skeptical but you never know with technology and all that. I figured there's no substitute for a good set of P90's and I've played some real P90's from the 50's.

Comment

Originally posted by PRSfan nym 1985 View Post
                        like I said I hadn't tried them I was always a little skeptical but you never know with technology and all that. I figured there's no substitute for a good set of P90's and I've played some real P90's from the 50's.
                        I like the idea of real, plain old P-90's. If you want them in series, which works well, just add a push-pull for that. You can also wire them for phase. That's plenty of options for a guitar, I think 6 PU cominations. That's why I haven't tried a P-Rails.

Comment

yeah my favorite modes are straight up rails in the middle position (very tele-ish but unique) and the straight up P90 tones in all positions. The parallel mode and series modes are fun but they aren't exactly the humbucker vibe I'm usually after but I have a another guitar loaded with fralin pure pafs for that.

Comment

Next time, I would suggest trying an RS Kit, first--before replacing the pickups. Those 500K pots and GOOD caps can make a world of difference in removing the mud from some pickups.

But good luck with the new pickup--be sure to give us a review!

Bill
                            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                              Next time, I would suggest trying an RS Kit, first--before replacing the pickups. Those 500K pots and GOOD caps can make a world of difference in removing the mud from some pickups.

But good luck with the new pickup--be sure to give us a review!

Bill
                              I has actually planned to replace the volume pot with a 500k super pot from RS.

Comment

Working...
                              X