Rio Grande Genuine Texas humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio Grande Genuine Texas humbucker

Has anybody here tried the Rio Grande Texas humbucker inthe neck position? I'm looking to change the EMG's out of my Hamer and am planning on installing a BBQ in the bridge and was wondering what y'all think of the Texas in the neck. How does it compare to, say, the 59 and the Pearly Gates? I'm not fond of the excsessive (in my opinion) low end of the 59 in the neck position. Thanks a lot for the info, ladies and gents.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Re: Rio Grande Genuine Texas humbucker

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Thanks.

How do you like the cleans? Have you tried splitting them?

Comment

No I had 2 sets and every one of them had braid wires. (Sold one set, still keeping the second.) To tell you the truth, I think they suck clean. Me thinks that PG+ in the bridge 8.00K PG in the neck is superior. Still not bad pickups.

B

Comment

Lots of texas bite. I dont know how it compares to the PG, never tried one.
          Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

While I dont agree that they suck at all, especially iof you have a BBQ at the bridge (Dr. Barlo & I have had this conversation before ), I will say that if you thing the '59 is too bassy (or too powerful for that matter), the Texas is WAAAY more.

The Texas is meant to be the match for the BBQ at the bridge, which is a VERY warm, midrangey, bottom heavy bridge pickup. Much more so than any Duncan. So the matching neck is in that same category and will overpower and be too warm for many bridge pickups.

As far as Duncan neck pups go, my fave is the PGn as it is less "hollow" than both the '59 and Jazz.

Just a side note: if you are used to the "push" of an EMG, then many "vintage voiced" Duncans may seem underpowered to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
            buggjuice.net
            MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for the info, gentlemen.

Originally posted by Mac-P
              before ), I will say that if you thing the '59 is too bassy (or too powerful for that matter), the Texas is WAAAY more.

Just a side note: if you are used to the "push" of an EMG, then many "vintage voiced" Duncans may seem underpowered to you.

If the Texas has more bass than the 59, then it's not the neck pickup for me.

How would the BBQ do when combined with a Pearly Gates or APH at the neck?

BTW, this is my first guitar with EMG's (previous owner installed them). the EMG's are fun for a while, but I'd rather play passives.

Again, thanks for the info, everybody.

Comment

I have a BBQ/Alnico II Pro set in my Hamer, I think they complement each other well if you're looking for warmer tones from both the bridge and neck positions. It's the perfect pickup set for that AC/DC sound. It's not a "jack of all trades" set, as it might be too warm for certain tones, but if you have other guitars that can handle a brighter tone when you need it, the BBQ/A2P is a good choice. The Pearly Gates is a nice pickup as well, just depends on whether you want a brighter or warmer sound from the neck. Remember that Hamers will be a bit warmer than a guitar made with a lot of alder/maple, but to me, they don't sound quite as warm as a singlecut LP style guitar. For that reason, I think the BBQ/A2P set works well in these guitars.

One last thing, I wouldn't recommend this pickup set if you have an excessively dark-sounding amp, or if you play in dropped tunings beyond half a step down. In those cases, you'll want a brighter set of pickups.

Ryan
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I really like 'em in SG guitars. Perfect match IMO for someone looking for a hot bridge pup. Was into Sabbath at the time and walls were shaking with this combo...
                  Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

I currently play through a BF Bassman and am seriously looking at purchasing a Dual Recto, so I suppose a brighter set would be in order. I guess I'll just go to the old standby, PGn and Custom bridge.

Comment

RG pickups all definitely have a voice of their own. Some extra uppermids, that make the guitar scream. Even tele lead pickups like muy grande, or strat bridge stelly and all have that same vocal thingy of a BBQ. Weird!

Texas sizzle?

Mac-P is right, we had that discussion before. Very cool to read you man.

B

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                        How would the BBQ do when combined with a Pearly Gates or APH at the neck?
                        I had the BBQ bridge wih a Pearly neck for a while. It was an OK combo.

The thing about the BBQ (and I agree it is perfect for a SG bridge - my favorite bridge humbucker ever) is that it is REALLY vocal and full of mids. I love that because it allows me to not have to turn my amp treble all the way down. I can actually USE my EQ controls now. I am loving it. My guitar sounds great.

But the thing is that many neck pickups sound underpowered and thin next to it. The PG was cool, but sounded like a single coil next to the big-ness of the BBQ. That's what made me get the Texas (Rio's matching neck pickup). The Texas is OK, but can use more highs. The BBQ is perfect. If the Texas was a BIT brighter then that would be the PERFECT set.

I'm thinking the stock Gibson neck pickup (the 490T? something like that...) might be perfect actually. Gibson's stock buckers are loud Alnico ll pickups which ironically enough may be perfect (the Gibsons are noticably louder than the Duncan '59, Jazz or PG). I'll post if I make the change and report on the outcome.

Originally posted by dr.barlo
                        RG pickups all definitely have a voice of their own. Some extra uppermids, that make the guitar scream. Even tele lead pickups like muy grande, or strat bridge stelly and all have that same vocal thingy of a BBQ. Weird!

Texas sizzle?

Mac-P is right, we had that discussion before. Very cool to read you man.

B
                        What's up Doc? Peace bro!
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                        buggjuice.net
                        MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Cool, thanks a bunch, Mac.

Comment

Mac!....I found the Gibson Burstbucker Pro (V) to be a good match with the BBQ beidge. The Burstbucker Pros are thick aslo.

Comment

Actually I pair a JB in the bridge with a genuine Texas neck right now in my Epi LP. Middle position they come together very well for cleans I think. I love the Texas. I don't play a whole lot of clean so I really can't comment on that. Also, it should be noted that I use the neck position for slower more bluesy, prettier, melodic stuff, so I really don't as a general rule shred with the neck pup. That being said it has great harmonics, nice high end, VERY articulate (at least on the high end), smooth, almost butter pick up. I like it a lot, and honestly have no inclination to even try another neck pup.

Comment

Working...
                              X