The pickup search is ALMOST over...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pickup search is ALMOST over...

Ok, so I've decided to go with the JB in the bridge of my Schecter (when I get around to all this anyways). However, upon asking some people today about the Jazz or Full Shred to go in the neck, instead of narrowing it down to one it has now become a choice between the Jazz and Alnico Pro II.

To describe what I'm looking for:

I currently have a DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck spot. While it sounds nice clean and for dirty lead sounds, it gets muddy and boomy for distorted chording/rhythm. I'm looking for a neck pickup that has a nice clean sound (full or split), retains clarity under pretty high gain as I run through a Mesa Rectoverb, is not too heavy bass-wise, and can get a smooth, articulate lead tone.

I also look for versatility, as my band plays covers of bands such as early Incubus, 311, early Creed, Tool, etc. and will then go on to play our original songs which I require the cleans and lead tones for.

I realize a lot of the covers I mentioned will play heavily on the bridge pickup, and the JB should do just fine in that respect .
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: The pickup search is ALMOST over...

sounds like you want the jazz to me, it has great clarity under gain and a killer tone

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
      sounds like you want the jazz to me, it has great clarity under gain and a killer tone
      +1

Comment

I think you guys might be right. Now I just need to consult the ultimate decision finalizer, but which is heads and which is tails

Comment

What exactly made you rule out the full shred? I cant believe someone talked you out of it...
          Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
          Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
          Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
          Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
          Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

They said it was more suitable as a bridge pickup, and that it might be too hot for what I want out of my neck pickup.

Comment

try and search for a couple of posts.. one is by neradj and one from jimmy i believe.. nera reviewed the Jazz and jimmy the FS .. or vice versa... dunno ..

Comment

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Comment

Jazz all the way!!!
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

too hot for the neck position.... whatever.
                    Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)

Comment

Originally posted by suislidE03
                      too hot for the neck position.... whatever.
                      I think they meant too hot for what I was looking for out of my neck pickup.

Comment

I really doubt that though man. I mean i had a jazz in my guitar for about half a year, and switched to the full shred and the only real difference is the tone. Its just so much more clear than the jazz, and much more articulate. you really need to just try both in your guitar, cause you cant rely on other peoples ears.

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire
                          They said it was more suitable as a bridge pickup, and that it might be too hot for what I want out of my neck pickup.
                          I always thought the FSn is as hot as the Jazzn but with other voicing?!
                          + They both have the same DC Resistiance.
                          RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                          TS 7 (modded)
                          Hot Rod 50+ XL
                          Framus Dragon 4x12
                          V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Hey, to anyone that's out there, is the JB/59 the hottest pickup that Seymour Duncan makes? I've heard that from a couple of people.
                            :saeek: Today is yesterday's tomorrow. :saeek:

Comment

the jazz will do anything and everything. It sounds frickin amazing split too

Comment

Working...
                              X