No announcement yet.

'59 with UOA5 in a Epi Junior LE: Wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 with UOA5 in a Epi Junior LE: Wow!

I've just bought a very cheap single HB Epiphone LP Junior, bolt on neck but mahogany neck and body.

Although the original pickup is really not that bad (ceramic 8, 16.9K), I'd like a less aggressive tone, my intention was to put in a P90 (I'm still waiting for a GFS Mean 90), and detune the guitar two steps down.

In the meantime I remembered that I had a SD '59 Neck around: my only complain about it is the slight mid scoop eq it has, so I started looking for an A2 magnet I was sure I had somewhere

I didn't find it, I think it'll come out when it won't be useful as usual, but, surprise! I've found an UOA5 coming form a hybrid experiment that I forgot, so I put it in the '59 and I swapped the guitar pickup.

...WOW!!

Smooth tone, pretty low volume (the pickup reading is 7.45K) but enough to crunch a bit my Peavey C30 in, just the right amount of mid, balanced, great dynamics with a slight compression on top in distortion.

Tomorrow I'll test it with a decent volume, now it's too late, but this guitar coupled with this pickup sound surprisingly good.

Ciao,
    Marcello

Re: '59 with UOA5 in a Epi Junior LE: Wow!

congrats for the most part you made a T-top

Comment

I have UOA5's in: PAF's, medium output, and high output HB's, and P-90's. All bridge PU's, and they are excellent in all of them. Great magnet. Spread the word. Why don't PU makers use UOA5's in bridge models and regular A5's in the neck??? That would keep a lot of players from having to adjust their tone pots.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

And...If you have an A5 neck that's too bright or bassy, or an A2 that's too warm and rounded on top, try an UOA5, A4, or A3.
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

It took a short time for me to like the UOA5 that I stuck into the 59B in my 335 copy...Nice in between magnet between the A2 and a regular A5...
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            And...If you have an A5 neck that's too bright or bassy, or an A2 that's too warm and rounded on top, try an UOA5, A4, or A3.
            do you prefer UA5 to all other alnicos?
            thinking about getting 50 or so

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
              do you prefer UA5 to all other alnicos?
              thinking about getting 50 or so
              I have every available alinico in a bridge slot somewhere, except A3. For the last 2 years, most of my bridge mag swaps have been putting in UOA5's. It's my favorite bridge mag. The best of A2 and A5. But being an unrepentant mag swapper, I wouldn't want to use just one magnet (or one PU) for everything.

It's only a matter of time before I put a few UOA5's in the neck slot. It'd make a nice alternative to an A2 to add cut. I've used a few A3's in neck PU's when an A5 was too powerful or too boomy (like a Bluesbucker - 10K with a ceramic!), and when an A2 was too lacking in treble (PGN).

Between what I've used and what I've given away, I've probably bought 50 UOA5's myself.

Comment

how are UOA5's cleans vs A5? Less glassy?
                2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092 View Post
                  how are UOA5's cleans vs A5? Less glassy?
                  Right, less glassy, more organic, more texture, and very nice. Not so sterile. The mags that have the most dynamics and response are A2's and UOA5's. When I heard an UOA5 for the first time, if I didn''t know better I'd have sworn it was an A2, but with a dash more treble. From my perspective, an UOA5 is like a 'product-improved' A2. That rounded A2 high end (which I have struggled with for years) is finally fixed.

Comment

When I heard an UOA5 for the first time, if I didn''t know better I'd have sworn it was an A2, but with a dash more treble.
                    Exactly the same feeling I have with this pickup, a sort of high fidelity A2

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
                      Exactly the same feeling I have with this pickup, a sort of high fidelity A2
                      Good description.

Comment

I am messing with the magnets of my les paul that has standard 490r-498t.

I think the pickups are great just haven;t found the right magnet combo yet.

First I swapped their magnets A5 neck A2 bridge. The bridge sounded pretty good like that (all 500k pots) and the neck better than before but too much bass (good treble).

Now I put A3 in the neck and UOA5 in the bridge. The bridge sounds amazing but a little modern for what I am aiming at so probably will put back A2. The neck is still dark with the A3 (like it was with the A2).

I am wondering how does A3 compare to UOA5. Does UOA5 have more highs than A3?
                        Maybe UOA5 neck A2 bridge will do it for me.
                        Last edited by mariosyjp; 08-31-2012, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
                          congrats for the most part you made a T-top
                          Not a T-Top... a Shaw!

Comment

Why don't PU makers use UOA5's in bridge models and regular A5's in the neck??? That would keep a lot of players from having to adjust their tone pots.
                            Rick, the neck p'up will outpower the bridge... not a good solution, if you ask me.

It has happened to me when I put the UOA5 in my Custom and I had an A4 in my '59n. To balance'em out, I had to put the bridge p'up as close as I could to the strings and I had to take down the neck almost to the point it'll come out of the thread... imagine with an A5 in the neck, which it's almost 45% more powerful than the A4!

If you're using an UOA5 in the bridge, I'd use an A3 in the neck. Best match both tone- and output-wise.

HTH,

Comment

I have UOA5's in: PAF's, medium output, and high output HB's, and P-90's. All bridge PU's, and they are excellent in all of them. Great magnet. Spread the word. Why don't PU makers use UOA5's in bridge models and regular A5's in the neck??? That would keep a lot of players from having to adjust their tone pots.
                              Maybe so but non-LP gibsons at the bridge have much less meat than a LP and a 300k vol fixes that

Comment

Working...
                              X