Split Inner Coils, then outter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Inner Coils, then outter?

can someone show me how to wire a 2 humbucker guitar with 1 volume 1 tone(both push pulls), and a 3 way toggle switch so that when i pull one of the push pulls it splits both humbuckers so that the inner coils are active then when the other push pull is active the outter coils of both pups are on. thanks

HD, it's a little more complicated than you might believe. In order to get inner/outer you must first do one of two things. You need to either flip one of the pickups magnets (not recommended in a 3 position switch guitar) or you have to physically rotate one of the pickups in its mount. The reason is that the inner coils have the same polarity and wind (as do the outer coils) in a std wired 3 position - 2 humbucker guitar. If you dont rotate a pickup in the mount your guitar will hum in the split position doing inner/outer.

Once you do that the wiring is pretty easy. Wire your switches like this.

outer

to bridge pickup hot...1 - 4 to ground
    red/white bridge........2 - 5 red/white neck
    n/c..........................3 - 6 n/c

inner

to ground..................1 - 4 to neck pickup hot
    red/white bridge.........2 - 5 red/white neck
    n/c...........................3 - 6 n/c

You will run a piece of wire from the #1 terminal on the outer switch to the location that the bridge black connects to the guitar. Do the same thing on the #4 terminal of the inner switch to the neck black location.

You can run a peice of wire from the outer switches #2 terminal to the inner switches #2 terminal and do the same for the #5 terminals as well so that the red/white wires get connected to both switches.

The only down side to this wiring is that your guitar will mute with both switches engaged at the same time.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Re: Split Inner Coils, then outter?

Originally posted by HolyDirt
      can someone show me how to wire a 2 humbucker guitar with 1 volume 1 tone(both push pulls), and a 3 way toggle switch so that when i pull one of the push pulls it splits both humbuckers so that the inner coils are active then when the other push pull is active the outter coils of both pups are on. thanks
      I stumbled across this diagram the other day.. I think it's what you want.. LINK

Comment

Re: Re: Split Inner Coils, then outter?

Originally posted by drp555
        I stumbled across this diagram the other day.. I think it's what you want.. LINK
        wow yes, that'll work well

Comment

If you notice, the bridge pickup is rotated 180 degrees. Normally the screw bobbin would be on the outside.
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Hey brp -

That is a cool solution. Thanks for the link.

Chip
            Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
            Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
            Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
            SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
            SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
            "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Working...
            X