HH coils split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH coils split

Hey all -remind me again how to get the "other" coil to split when you have 2 Duncan humbuckers in HH?

IIRC, the red/green/black/white wires are the same for each, thus the coil splits will not cancel hum when using the middle position of the 3-way switch (ie. both pickups on and split).

FWIW I will be using a HH/1 vol/1 tone/3-way with 2 mini toggles (3-way on/on/on)

Thanks!

Re: HH coils split

With green, white, and red to ground only the north (slug) coil is active (black wire is lead). With green, white, and black to ground only the south (screw) coil is active (red wire is lead)...this coil is reverse wound relative to the slug coil.

One pup's slug coil plus the other pup's screw coil should have hum cancelling like in a Strat's 2 and 4 positions.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Right, but if I wire each mini toggle the same, I won't get that hum canceling! I'm trying to figure out how to get the 2 outside coils or the 2 inside coils together. Do I just switch the red/green and black/white on one toggle switch?

Comment

Well, if you run the two outside coils (the screw coils) or the two inside coils (slug), you won't get hum cancelling. The screw coils are wound in one direction and the slug coils are reverse wound to them. You get hum cancelling from having two coils wound in opposite directions. Therefore, if you want hum cancelling you need to pair one outside coil with one inside coil. If you reverse mount (flip) one of your pups, you can pair either both inside coils or outside coils and get hum cancelling.

You haven't said anything about your switches. Are your mini switches DPDT? Do you have them wired to split to one coil (up), both coils (middle), split to other coil (down)?

What you want depends on your switches and how you have them wired. You can wire them many different ways. If, for example, you only want to run your pups in either full hummer or split to inside coils with hum cancelling, you can do that with two SPDT on/on switches.

So, I guess you just need to be more specific in what you are trying to accomplish.

Here are the color codings for each coil. Just choose the wires that correspond to the coil you want to be active when split.

Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

If I wanted to use a 5 way switch on a HH guitar, would it be possible to use positions 1, 3 and 5 like on a Gibson and active coil splitting in positions 2 and 4? I want hum cancelling so I gotta use one inside and one outside coil like the two south coils in position 2 and the two north coils in position 4 right? Will there be enough difference between positions 2 and 4 soundwise to make it worthwile?

Comment

I think this is how I use mine- from what I remember, I had to use a Superswitch, reverse black and green and flip the magnet for it to work. It works, and both position 2 (outside coils) and position 4 (inside coils) are very useful.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

if you find the 2 split coil pairings too similar, you might be able to use the 2 positions to set one up as split parallel, the other as split series, or have one for the split coils and on for both buckers on full in series as different options. not sure if a superswitch would have enough magic to let you try wiring them out of phase as another option too.

Comment

All you actually need to do is, keep everything the same: ground the green and bare, black to output, connect the red and white together. When you split that pickup, instead of connecting the red and white to ground, connect them to that pickup's black wire (the output). That gets you the other coil (the screw coil).

Comment

I definitely don't want any extra push/pull pot or switch to activate coil split. I really like the option of a 5 way switch on the HH guitar because I want hum cancelling which translates to two additional positions on the switch. But which two sounds will be most different from each other? When position 1 is the full bridge bucker option one is: Both south coils on position 2 and both north coils on position 4. Option two uses the neck bucker mounted the wrong way: Position 2 is both inside coils, position 4 is both outside coils. Positions 2 and 4 would sound most different using option two right?
                  Last edited by h3r3t1k; 12-07-2012, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Let see some examples...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pull-Push_mod_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	5763673

If you used a DPDT ON/ON instead, you would get the same for each example, except the middle position.
                    Note the black wire of each pickup should be routed to whatever you wanted (after selecting coil): volume pot's input, selector switch input, etc.
                    My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                    My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

That's a 3way switch. I'd like to use a 5 way switch.

Building on the previous setup, would this be possible:
                      1. Full bridge bucker
                      2. North coil of bridge bucker
                      3. South coil of bridge bucker + south coil of neck bucker
                      4. North coil of neck bucker
                      5. Full neck bucker

There would be hum cancelling in position 3 right?
                      Last edited by h3r3t1k; 12-07-2012, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by h3r3t1k View Post

1. Full bridge bucker
                          5. Full neck bucker

My aswer went for the OP, not for you.
                          Natman = h3r3t1k? or ar you hijacking this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by h3r3t1k View Post

1. Full bridge bucker
                            5. Full neck bucker

1) with a regular 5-way, this is not possible. you need a super-switch
                            2) NO, position 3 wouldn't be hum cancelling in that way. You need north + south combination there.

Comment

Working...
                            X