Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the Little 59 Tele pickup

New guy here.

I have a 1993 Fender American Standard Telecaster fitted with Gold Lace Sensors.

The sensors are OK, but I've had them for 15-plus years, and I'm a little bored with them, the bridge pickup in particular. The bridge unit can get a little icepicky. I don't really play a lot of traditional "Telecaster" stuff on my Tele -- mainly I play blues, classic rock, some jazz (mostly on the neck pickup). I'm not a country player.

I'm considering Little 59 bridge humbucker. I want more power and versatility, but at the same time, I don't want to completely lose the "Telecasterishness," the fundamental Tele character of the guitar.

Would the Little 59, wired even in series, completely transform the guitar? Would it still be recognizable as a Telecaster?

Thoughts, opinions, warnings, threats, etc., are welcome. Thanks.

Tom

Originally posted by nedcronin
    Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
    Originally posted by metalmachine
    dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Re: Tell me about the Little 59 Tele pickup

I put one in one of my Teles a few months ago. It's cool, but it really doesn't sound all that "Telecaster-ish". If you want your Tele bridge to sound sort of like an LP, then yeah, it's great.

However, I know you can add a push/pull pot and split it into single coil mode. I think that helps the versatility.

I think I'm going to be pulling mine and selling it. It's a good pickup, just not my thing.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

I've done thread searches on the '59, and I see responses like yours. I love Les Pauls, but I want my Telecaster to be a Tele, not an LP. Not sure what to do. May try it for a month or so.

I've also considered a Vintage Lead Stack, but I'm worried that I won't lose the "icepick" if I go that route. Switching over to a true (albeit single-coil-sized) humbucker for some blues leads sounds nice, actually.

Decisions ...

dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

I've gone through a number of bridge pickups. American Standard, MIM Standard, SD A2P, SD Broadcaster, Fender CS Nocaster, lil'59...

So far my hands down favourite is the CS Nocaster. Second is the Broadcaster. Both are pretty versatile combined with use of the tone control knob. I play mainly blues and classic rock (Stones). I've got the Nocaster set on one Tele, and the Broadcaster on another. Neither of them are ever coming out of those guitars.

I grew to hate the A2P. Way too polite to the point of being sterile. AS pickups aren't bad, but they're not amazing.
        -

Comment

I've heard good things about the CS Nocaster pickup, but I'm not going back to single-coil hum. I want to buck the hum. I'm looking for a balance between Tele twanginess and straight-ahead power.

I think I'm talking myself into the Lil 59.

Comment

I think you might want to consider the SD stacked Tele pickup or one of the Fender Noiseless models instead. A lil59 is going to sound like a 59 humbucker.
            -

Comment

A Fender pickup in a Fender guitar?

What an odd thing to suggest.

I like Fender. In fact, I love Fender. I've been a walking advertisement for Fender for years (when I'm, you know, actually playing guitar).

But Seymour is a certified Tele-fanatic, and I trust his judgement. I have a Pearly Gates and a '59 in a 2001 Strat, and they sound fantastic. Besides, I'm feeling like taking a risk here.

I just hope I'm not bitterly disappointed. I really don't want to turn my 93 Tele into a 59 Les Paul (as if any bridge pup could do that).

Comment

FWIW I have experience with Lace Sensors (in strats) and recently swapped my Hot Golds (which I generally like a lot) for some Antiquities. It was like night and day. Although I have to live with hum now, I also have juicy responsive tone.

For my tele, I have a Custom Shop Pearly Gates Jr coming in the mail. I would have gone with the Lil 59 but figured alnico was the way to go and if it was coming from the custom shop it has to be good. I'll be using a mini toggle to get series-split-parallel and will report back when it's in the guitar. I suspect the switch from Sensors to Lil 59 will be dramatic, maybe even shocking!

Comment

Originally posted by Natman View Post

For my tele, I have a Custom Shop Pearly Gates Jr coming in the mail. I would have gone with the Lil 59 but figured alnico was the way to go and if it was coming from the custom shop it has to be good. I'll be using a mini toggle to get series-split-parallel and will report back when it's in the guitar. I suspect the switch from Sensors to Lil 59 will be dramatic, maybe even shocking!
                  Thanks. I'm weighing the Custom Shop route, too. I know 'ceramic' is supposed to be a scary buzz word, but it doesn't bother me.

Let me know how the Pearly Gates Jr. sounds. I have a Pearly Gates "Plus" on one of my Strats. I love it. Very lively.

The only way to find out is to unlimber my wallet, get the pickup and get out the soldering iron.

Comment

I thought the Lil' '59 was pretty boring in my Tele. I actually preferred a Hotrails with a series/parallel push/pull on the volume. In parallel mode it was a nice sounding pup, though not really "Tele."

I have to say that I don't think ANY hum free pup is going to really sound like a true single coil no matter what. None that I have tried did.
                    Last edited by Hagbard Celine; 01-19-2012, 02:49 AM.
                    It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age; but, if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion.

--Bertrand Russell

Comment

Well I use the little 59 in my main stage guitar and absolutely love it, BUT It doesn't sound like a tele at all. It's nearly as ballsy as my LP.

I don't have a coil tap though so that may be a good option.
                      sigpic

Comment

Inkstained checkout joe barden pickups,bruce springsteen had blade pickups in his tele at the rock and roll hall of fame and the tone was great.
                        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by JohnZAH View Post
                          Well I use the little 59 in my main stage guitar and absolutely love it, BUT It doesn't sound like a tele at all. It's nearly as ballsy as my LP.

I don't have a coil tap though so that may be a good option.
                          The more I think about it, the more I think less "Teleishness" may be a good thing. Copping some new sounds might be fun, and as I've said, I'm not a country player. I lean more to the rock/blues side.

Of course, I'm just imagining what I might do with a humbucker in my Tele. Once the pickup is actually in there, that might turn my head around.

We'll see. I'm getting the Lil 59.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_tw21 View Post
                            Inkstained checkout joe barden pickups,bruce springsteen had blade pickups in his tele at the rock and roll hall of fame and the tone was great.
                            I've heard great things about Bardens. I have the first 'Hotlicks' instructional video from Danny Gatton, in which he works his magic with a set of Bardens in his '53 Tele. He is (was) an incredible player, of course, but I have to say, the only thing I didn't like about that video was his tone. That's the only thing that gives me pause about the Bardens.

Comment

Originally posted by Hagbard Celine View Post

I have to say that I don't think ANY hum free pup is going to really sound like a true single coil no matter what. None that I have tried did.
                              Yeah, I may be chasing an animal that doesn't exist. Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X