which pickup would suite me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which pickup would suite me?

Hey guys, I am in a very sticky situation. I am trying to figure out which seymour duncan pickup is for me. If you have ever heard of wagner pickups, I was very tempted to buy one of their Darkburst Pickups for the bridge position, modelled after Duane Almuans guitar, but decided not to buy it since they do not offer it in double white. I'm looking for a pickup that has the vintage PAF sound but enough beef and cut to sound full and handle the bridge position. Thanks

Re: which pickup would suite me?

One of the Customs?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

which one of the customs??

Comment

Do you have any preference between Alnico 2, Alnico 5 or ceramic magnets?
        Also, what type of music do you play?
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

alnico blows away ceramic pu's.I had the experience before becoming a Seymour Duncal addict,
          Last edited by studiojazzrockguitar; 12-15-2004, 01:51 PM. Reason: errors
          Carmine D'Amico http://www.carminedamico.com http://www.cdbaby.com/cde http://www.sonicbids.com/CarmineDAmicoEnsemble2 http://www.cafepress.com/carminedami.../carmine_d.htm http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/carminescorner

Comment

The Customs are much higher in output than a PAF pickup, so if you go with one of those pickups, you'll be sacrificing the PAF sound in favor of more output. I think your best choice is the Duncan '59 model. I've always preferred to get the gain from my amp, rather than my pickup.

Ryan
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

i think it was gearjoneser who had a jazz/jazz combo and loved it? the jazz bridge might be worth a look

tom

Comment

I'd perfer the alnico in a pickup, because the ceramics are too sterile in sound. I currently use BurstBucker V's in bridge and neck, but wanting to replace the bridge, I've heard both 59 and custom (the one with the ceramic) and am not pleased wtih them. what other pickups would suite me or complement the BBV? I really play various types of music, but mostly in a classic rock field (think pagey) with some jazz (lounge jazz ahah).

Comment

What didn't you like about the '59? You could go with an Alnico 2 pickup, but they sound a bit looser with more midrange. I like that sound, but some people don't like alnico 2 pickups in the bridge.

Ryan

Comment

the 59 wasnt really enough oompf, i cant explain aural things well. but anyway, any other suggetoins?

Comment

maybe a seth?

Comment

If the '59 wasn't high enough in output for you, then it sounds like you really don't want a PAF pickup. The Demon might be a nice compromise, and the Custom 5 might be a good choice, although it's brighter and bassier than the '59.

Ryan

Comment

i think you misunderstood me; the 59 isnt full enough, its not really the loudness factor. i need a pickup that has the vintage PAF tone but when you play highs, it screams and when you play low its nice and defined, llike it has ooompfh haha.

Comment

Pearly Gates!
                            PRS Singlecuts
                            Epiphone Sheraton II
                            Vintage acoustics

Comment

If you go with an Antiquity or Seth lover, you really won't have trouble being heard.They're plenty loud and have tons of PAF vibe. I've heard the samples of those Fillmore and Crossroads pups and they don;t impress me that much. Stick with Duncan. If you want to step it up a bit (or notch and Emeril says), go with teh CC or C5. But, you can 't go worng with either of the first two.
                              "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Working...
                              X