Stratocaster neck pickup in a Tele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stratocaster neck pickup in a Tele

I happen to like the idea of putting strat p'ups in the neck position I also like P90's, mini hb's, and the G&L mfd single coils (it's not really a P90 but similar).

I guess it just boils down to personal preference in this case. If it helps at all my tele right now has a set of Fralins in it I have a 2% overwound covered neck pickup, a stock wound Vintage Hot strat p'up in the middle position, and a RWRP Blues Special tele pickup in the bridge. I reversed my control plate and have a master volume control closest to the bridge p'up, followed by a middle p'up blend knob, and then a 3-way selector in the back.

As much as I love Esquires I always end up missing a neck p'up. My next tele project will likely have either a P90 or Mini HB in the neck position with a Tele bridge p'up. The other tele I want is a semi hollow with dual P90's and a G&L dual fulcrum tremolo.

I guess what I'm trying to say is although I love simple one pickup guitars with minimal controls I still like having options (even if I don't always use them).

Comment

Stag Mag!

Comment

the thing is that you can use 2 500K pots, and a resistor from the lug on the switch that has the single coil, and run that resistor to ground. If you use a 500KΩ resistor, that yields 500K resistor in parallel with the 500K pot also connected to that pickup = 250KΩ that the pickup is loaded with when the tone is wide open. the neck bucker just gets the full 500K of the pot.

This is how fender did many of their bucker'd tele wirings, but I believe they used a 330K or 270K resistor which should roll off a little more high end on the bridge.

check out fender's service diagram on an American H-S tele with a bucker, a single, and 2 500K pots with a 270K resistor.

Comment

SSL-2 sounds like the thing you need. They match up with tele bridges in my experience.
          A tapped custom flat would give you some more versatility and another really useable voice.
          Great trades/transactions with checo, kjrocks (2x), ginoames (2x), guitarkid (2x), Ed Hunter, primo (2x), apar111, blueman335, King IzzO))), ArtieToo, lemonman, saladin, SAVAGE DISTORTION, surface54, and DonP. Excellent forum bros!

Comment

I put a 5% underwound Fralin Vintage Hot Strat pickup in mine, with a Duncan Jerry Donahue. I had to reverse the wires on the Fralin to get it in phase with the Duncan, but the two pickups sound great together and are humcancelling when combined. The Jerry Donahue was quite a bit louder than the covered Duncan Tele neck pickup that was in this guitar and the JD is still just a little louder than the 5% underwound Fralin pickup, but only a little and they're a great match with each other.

I'll get a new pickguard someday in mint, but this guitar has never sounded better.

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 06-15-2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

It worked for Clarence.

Thank you.

Comment

I know this is an old thread that somebody else bumped, but here's my contribution:

MIM Standard Tele from '04, '52RI bridge plate and saddles, Duncan Broadcaster in the bridge, and an SSL-1 mounted on a Warmoth single-ply matte-finish guard.
                Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by Frankly View Post
                  It worked for Clarence.

Thank you.

And now Marty, as well. I think Clarence's tele (which Marty now calls, "Clarence") is a monster and a great guitar! I got the chance of a lifetime to play that bad boy (unplugged, sadly) on the night of July 17, 2008 at the GMF (Georgia Mountain Fair) in Hiawassee, GA right before Marty went onstage that night. I hope that Marty decides to put that guitar either in the CMHOF or in his personal collection when he passes someday because it wouldn't be right seeing someone else playing that guitar onstage, IMO.

Comment

Fender CS Twisted Tele... Strat strength Tele chime, and comes ready for the 4-way wiring.

I have one paired with a CS '51 Broadcaster bridge, and the 4way position positively growls... a lot like a P-90...
                    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Working...
                    X