59 neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 neck

i just got a 59 neck for my les paul the thing is that the stock one was a 2 conductor cable , and the duncan is a single conductor , where does it go connected to the first little thing in the pot or in the back of the pot?
    please any help
    Schecter C1 silver top, cream body binding , black hardware, loaded with EMG 81/81
    Epi Les paul honeyburst, loaded with Seymour Duncan DD (b) 59 (n)
    Ibanez Iceman ic300 , Stock pickups
    Yamaha Pacifica , stock
    epiphone acoustic
    marshall combo
    cry baby wah
    monster cables

Re: 59 neck

On a Duncan two conductor, which you have......The silver shielding gets trimmed back then, you connect the small black wire to that same pole on the pot that the stock hot wire went to. The shielding then gets soldered down to the base of the pot. On a 4 conductor Duncan, the black is +, the green/silver twisted is ground, and the red/white wires get twisted/soldered/and taped down so they make contact with nothing......unless you've got fancy phase/splitcoil switches.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The braided shield wire goes to the back of the volume pot (= to ground) and the Black wire goes to one of the lugs of the pot.(the first little thing ) There's a schematic on the Duncan site.

Comment

dudes but i think that my 59 is a single conductor , just one cable
        Schecter C1 silver top, cream body binding , black hardware, loaded with EMG 81/81
        Yamaha Pacifica , stock
        epiphone acoustic
        marshall combo
        cry baby wah
        monster cables

Comment

Are you shure? what colour is it? black or does it look like weaved iron?

Comment

it doesnt have a color its just plain wire and in the back of the seymour duncan box say single conductor 59 neck
            Yamaha Pacifica , stock
            epiphone acoustic
            marshall combo
            cry baby wah
            monster cables

Comment

It has wire braiding on the outside, right?

Inside the wire braiding is a layer of cloth insulation. Inside the insulation is a wire core. If it's a new pickup the ends haven't been trimmed back at all.

You need to strip back the metal braid and also trim the end of the cloth insulation to expose the end of the wire core. The wire core is the hot connection that goes to the lug of the volume pot. The outer braid is the ground - you solder that to the back of the pot.

Does anyone have a pic of a control cavity with a single-conductor pup wired in?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
                You need to strip back the metal braid and also trim the end of the cloth insulation to expose the end of the wire core. The wire core is the hot connection that goes to the lug of the volume pot. The outer braid is the ground - you solder that to the back of the pot.
                Exactly what you need to do. Is this a second hand pickup by any chance?

Comment

yes i just bought it used
                  Yamaha Pacifica , stock
                  epiphone acoustic
                  marshall combo
                  cry baby wah
                  monster cables

Comment

hey also if is not long enough can i add a piece of wire from the old stock pick ? just solder a lilttle piece to make it longer? can i?
                    Yamaha Pacifica , stock
                    epiphone acoustic
                    marshall combo
                    cry baby wah
                    monster cables

Comment

Originally posted by rombola
                      hey also if is not long enough can i add a piece of wire from the old stock pick ? just solder a lilttle piece to make it longer? can i?
                      Can you see the ground conductor? If you do and it is solded to the baseplate then you can solde another wire to the baseplate and use it a as a ground conection. If everything it is conected in the right way inside the pickup then everything will work fine.

In case you want to check it you can remove the four screws from the baseplate. Becareful because the magnet will be realeased and it could fall. It has to be in the same orientation to work in the right way. Now you will be able to examinate both coils. You shoud be able to see the 4 wires, one from the begining and the end of each coil. One shoud be conected to the single conductor wire. Two of then (one from each coil) should be conected toghether to achieve the series configuration. Finally there should be a remainig wire that should be conected to baseplate or just unsoldered. This is the one that should be conected to the ground.

Comment

Here ya go, I took this from guitarnuts.com. I pasted all of it because of the pictures alone wouldn't make sense.

Separating Shield Braid From Inner Conductors:

Separating the inner conductors from the braid of shielded wire is one of those things that few people do cleanly and no one enjoys. Even many experienced techs end up with a rather ugly mess if more than a half-inch of braid needs to be separated. Here is a technique that is forehead-slapping obvious yet I was an electronics tech for many years and worked with dozens of other techs before I ever encountered it.

You will need a pointed instrument. A dentist's pick works great. A straightened paper clip can be used in a pinch. Avoid using a knife point as it is likely that you will end up cutting some of the fine strands of wire.

1. Strip the outer insulation from the shielded cable. Be very careful not to cut any of the fine strands of wire that make up the shielding braid.

2. Using a pointed instrument carefully "pick" a hole in the braid. Be careful not to cut or break any of the fine strands of wire, just form a hole in the weave of the braid by pushing the strands aside.

3. Bend the cable sharply where you picked the hole in the braid. Make sure that the hole is facing away from the bend. Use your dental pick or similar instrument to work a loop of the inner conductor(s) out through the hole in the braid.

4. Keep pulling on the loop of inner conductor until the loose end comes completely free of the braid.

But since you got it 2nd hand you might have a pickup without the braid wire because someone removed it.

Comment

my pickup has the metal braid and inside is the cloth thing and then inside the cloth is just plain wire ! so if the other wire is missing what can i do?
                          Yamaha Pacifica , stock
                          epiphone acoustic
                          marshall combo
                          cry baby wah
                          monster cables

Comment

oh i get it i use the outside metal braid as the ground and solder it to the ground or what?
                            Yamaha Pacifica , stock
                            epiphone acoustic
                            marshall combo
                            cry baby wah
                            monster cables

Comment

Yes, the outer metal braid is soldered to the pot. If you have separate volume controls, the wire from inside the cloth gets soldered to the first lug. If you are just using one volume, you can wire it directly to the switch. Then from the switch, solder a wire from the middle position (shared) to the first lug on the volume pot.

MJ
                              EMB Audio Remote and Pedal Wahs: www.facebook.com/EMBaudio

Comment

Working...
                              X