Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan JB vs Distortion bridge

Originally posted by SABOTAGE
    you tell me? both use 44 gauge wire,both have the same number of winds.
    and BTW resistance is not a varible with a magnet swap, just cuase you swap out a magnet for another type the resistance does not change just the tone and output and the resonant peak
    Ok, that's the info I was wondering about. Much more concrete than what you said at first, thanks . I stand corrected.
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Stratcat
      I have always heard that the alnico magnets are more musical sounding than ceramic. It is also a fact that the JB is Seymour Duncans favorite bridge humbucker.
      I dont buy into the ceramic is not as musical as alnico thing.
      i think it is the player that makes it musical not the magnet

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
        Good thing people aren't getting a biased opinion when you come along for advice...

Is there such a thing as an UNbiased opinon? Seriously, everyone thinks that their opinion is the right one. So technically, one would be biased toward their own opinion, regardless of subject.
        Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
          Is there such a thing as an UNbiased opinon? Seriously, everyone thinks that their opinion is the right one. So technically, one would be biased toward their own opinion, regardless of subject.

The way you wrote your initial post leads us all to believe that you would not recommended the JB even if the original poster had wanted the characteristics of that pickup...what good is that??

To be biased towards your favorite pickup(s) is one thing, to completely steer someone in the wrong direction is another.

I would like to think that most people here are mature enough to put their biases aside for the most part and recommend the pickups that they think people are asking for based on characteristics.....not just their favorites...otherwise what good is this board to people seeking information??

Comment

I would like to think that most people here are mature enough to put their biases aside for the most part and recommend the pickups that they think people are asking for based on characteristics.....not just their favorites...otherwise what good is this board to people seeking information??
            +139,426
            After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Have you considered EMG's? Duncans always worried me, but every band i like uses emg's and i can almost get any sound out of my set that i want, wonderful chimey cleans (89 only), amazing distortion, and they just seam to have the sound im always going for. No offensive to the SD guys.
              Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

The way you wrote your initial post leads us all to believe that you would not recommended the JB even if the original poster had wanted the characteristics of that pickup...what good is that??

To be biased towards your favorite pickup(s) is one thing, to completely steer someone in the wrong direction is another.

I can't think of a time when I have ever tried to steer someone away from a pickup choice. Ususally people ask for opinions on this board, I give mine. I always state that what I say is my opinion. Most people absolutely love the JB, I personally can't stand it. I try to make it very clear to people that my opinion is just that, my OPINION. Everyone has their own, and has a right to have it. If you are implying that I am being immature, than you completely missed the point. In reference to the original post, I believe that the Distortion has more high end bite than the CC.
                Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

I can't think of a time when I have ever tried to steer someone away from a pickup choice. Ususally people ask for opinions on this board, I give mine. I always state that what I say is my opinion. Most people absolutely love the JB, I personally can't stand it. I try to make it very clear to people that my opinion is just that, my OPINION. Everyone has their own, and has a right to have it. If you are implying that I am being immature, than you completely missed the point. In reference to the original post, I believe that the Distortion has more high end bite than the CC.

If you can't see how your original post would steer someone in the wrong direction then I'm not going to bother explaining it to you. Needless to say, either pickup would give this person what they want unless they were to specify further distinguishing characteristics between the JB and Distortion.

Comment

Everyone knows I'm a big supporter of the Distortion and can't stand the JB. Read any one of my numerous posts if you want more of my opinion on the two. If you've already decided on the JB I won't try to change your mind. Just know that everytime someone chooses a JB over a Distortion, a little part of me dies.
                    This was my original post. To sum it up for you, there's a part where I say that "I" like one and not the other. It also says that I "won't try to change your mind." That means I would not steer someone away from something they want. The last line was a joke. If you didn't get that, then I can't exlain my humor to you.

And if either pickup would give him what he wants, then how would recommending the Distoriton steer him in the wrong direction? Please explain that.

Comment

If you can't see how your original post would steer someone in the wrong direction then I'm not going to bother explaining it to you. Needless to say, either pickup would give this person what they want unless they were to specify further distinguishing characteristics between the JB and Distortion.
                      If its needless to say, then why say it? I'd suggest for him to actually just buy one and go try it, S&D has that 27 day return deal, so no biggie.
                      Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Okay, now you boys play nice!
                        Originally posted by Scott_F
                        On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

I know travis does not care for the JB the way others do and that is his right to have that opinion.
                          what i would like to tell the original poster is that the JB is more classic sounding than the distortion is.
                          the JB has a very vocal,singing lead voice and can get downright nasty for metal
                          ALA megadeth,old anthrax and many other metal bands use the JB over the distorition.
                          for me of the two the distortion just has more girth and punch which is what i felt the JB lacked in my guitar/amp.
                          I also feel the distortion is closer to a EMG 81 than the JB is.
                          I want to try a lawrence 500XL next if that does not work out it is back to the EMG's for this guy
                          it really boils down to what YOU like and NOT what others like

Comment

I agree with what Sabo said. The distortion will kick you're booty and leave you for dead. The JB will pick you back up and make things right again. Just depends on what kind of treatment you're looking for.

Everyone needs a good a$$-kickin now and again, as well as some TLC. But this thread's not about how you like your woman to treat you.
                            On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt
                              I agree with what Sabo said. The distortion will kick you're booty and leave you for dead. The JB will pick you back up and make things right again. Just depends on what kind of treatment you're looking for.

Everyone needs a good a$$-kickin now and again, as well as some TLC. But this thread's not about how you like your woman to treat you.
                              dang JAMMER that was a great post!!!!!!!

i needed a good laugh! LOL!!!

Comment

Thanks, bro. My scars run deep as you can tell. Both with tone and with the ladies

Comment

Working...
                                X