Alnico 2 and Basswood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico 2 and Basswood?

Are Alnico 2 equipped pups really BAD for guitars with Basswood bodies?

My guitar is an Ibanez RG350DX (Basswood) and the pup that I really wanted for the neck position is the Pearly Gates (Alnico 2). I'm also thinking of getting the Custom Custom for the bridge, which unfortunately is an Alnico 2 pup. Though maybe the Custom is better for Hard Rock and "old school" Metal?

Thanks for the replies!

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Re: Alnico 2 and Basswood?

No, in fact, the Duncan Alnico 2 Pro humbucker sounds great in my basswood Peavey Wolfgang. I will say that I prefer alnico 2 in the neck and alnico 5 in the bridge in most cases. If you're looking for an old school metal tone, the Custom would be a better choice for the bridge, along with a Pearly Gates or Alnico 2 Pro in the neck.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Awesome!

The custom should be bright sounding right? But I can still get the heavy "chug chug" sound? You know, megadeth and metallica palm muted sounds?

I was also thinking of the DiMarzio Fred bridge and PAF Joe neck... how does that compare?

Thanks again!

Comment

I had the custom in my RG and liked it -
        but not that much with my amp so i went back to the JB.
        For metal the custom works well i think!
        RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
        TS 7 (modded)
        Hot Rod 50+ XL
        Framus Dragon 4x12
        V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Working...
        X