Ungrounded pickup cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ungrounded pickup cover?

Just bought a used ESP LTD EC-400VF (Les Paul type axe).

It has a JB/59' setup with humbuckers.

After I bought it I noticed quite a bit of hum. Did some debugging and it looks like the bridge cover is not grounded. If I touch it the hum gets crazy.

Before I crack her open... How is this normally grounded? Is the cover soldered to the base plate? Is that likely the issue or is the ground wire more likely the culprit?

No biggie just though I'd try and get insight.

Other than that the guitar rules.

Thanks
    TManiac

Re: Ungrounded pickup cover?

touch cover and more buzz?

what about the strings or the other cover?

do those make buzz too?

is the buzz like what you would hear if you grabbed the unplugged
    guitar chord?>
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yep, way more loud buzz/hum.

Touching strings and other cover decrease buzz/hum.

I used a multimeter as well. Neck cover grounded, bridge cover not grounded.

Hmm... it might be like that... do you suspect a short?

Thanks Ehd

TMANIAC

Comment

Originally posted by TManiac View Post
        How is this normally grounded? Is the cover soldered to the base plate?
        Yes.
        Originally posted by Frankly
        PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
        Originally posted by Diocletian
        Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
          Yes.
          Hmm... Unlikely that separate probably. Hopefuly a loose wire and not internal malfunction.

Comment

Originally posted by TManiac View Post
            Hmm... Unlikely that separate probably. Hopefuly a loose wire and not internal malfunction.
            You have to check the entire circuit for the ground. The cover is grounded by soldering to the baseplate, but the baseplate is not the source ground...it's grounded by a wire that (probably) eventually makes it's way via a connection to the bridge, bridge stud, trem claw, etc.

So you might have a bad connection/ground and it's not actually the pickup.
            Originally posted by Frankly
            PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
            Originally posted by Diocletian
            Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Just for completeness...

The pickup was wired all wrong... Shielding wasn't grounded, black and green wired together etcetc. I think it was like this from the factory too...

Anyways, rewired the pickup and much better. Still a little hum that isn't reduced by touching strings, but thats probably a shielding issue.

Thanks everyone.
              TManiac

Comment

I’m wiring a tele and the diagram says to ground the cover by clipping the connection to the tab on the pickup cover. It doesn’t touch the cover. I want it done properly but, having never done this before, I’m concerned about ruining the pup. Any suggestions?
                Thanks,
                B

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Lab View Post
                  I’m wiring a tele and the diagram says to ground the cover by clipping the connection to the tab on the pickup cover. It doesn’t touch the cover. I want it done properly but, having never done this before, I’m concerned about ruining the pup. Any suggestions?
                  Thanks,
                  B
                  Those instructions don't make sense. Clipping the connection to the tab on the pickup cover is removing the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Lab View Post
                    Thanks,
                    B
                    Hi,
                    IF the goal is to use a 4 positions switch and/or to allow out of phase wiring, the cover must be grounded separately from the coil. In such a "case", a separate wire must be added from cover to ground... It's not difficult and it shouldn't ruin the pickup. Instructions below...

This article shows how easy it is to convert your Telecaster Neck Pickup into a 3-Wire Neck, so you can make it work with 4-Way Switching.
                    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

You’re right, it doesn’t make sense. I neglected important information, my apologies. I am wiring a four way switch. I’ve read the Lindy Fralin article and it makes sense now. Thanks for your input, and for the Fralun link.

Comment

Working...
                      X