Stk-1 poles adjustable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stk-1 poles adjustable.

Hi. I have a Jackson DK2 that came stock with stk-1's in th neck and middle position. The poles are staggered quite a bit. Can they be adjusted? If not, how about grinding or cutting them down?

Re: Stk-1 poles adjustable.

I've heard of someone who was able to push them down with no problems. I definitely would NOT recommend trying to grind or cut them.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Tdk24 View Post
      Hi. I have a Jackson DK2 that came stock with stk-1's in th neck and middle position. The poles are staggered quite a bit. Can they be adjusted? If not, how about grinding or cutting them down?
      Its a hack job. You risk to crack the bobbin or damage the coil while pushing the magnet. Grinding is possible but risky too.
      If you dont like the stagger, sell it on fleabay and get a STK-S4.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

That is the best suggestion.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

They do sound good, but the D and G poles are so high that they can cause a slight wobble sound. These pickups were made for a small radius neck like a fender, not a flat neck like a Jackson. I'm surprised they put them in there in the first place. And without pickguard mounting you can only drop them into the guitar so far. How does the STK-S4 sound compared to the STK-1? Thanks for the replies.

Comment

How does the STK-S4 sound compared to the STK-1?
            same, but louder. in a good way.

Comment

These pickups were made for a small radius neck like a fender, not a flat neck like a Jackson. I'm surprised they put them in there in the first place. .
              Actually the answer to that is pretty easy. SD was discontinuing the STK-1 they gave Jackson a super cut rate deal on the remaining stock so Jackson has been using them up and will until the supply is depleted.
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

That's good to know.

Comment

Hi,Soory about the old thread bump. I stumbled onto this thread looking for the same info and decided to register and post to help future searches

When I took my STK-1 out to see if there where screw slots on the bottom of the pole pieces I noticed that the pole pieces were flush to the bottom of the pup, I realized I could grab both ends of it with a pair of channel lock pliers (adjusted to width) and squeeze the pup right next to the pliers with one finger on each side. On first try I had to stop to put a rag on top of the pliers for comfort, On the second try, just before giving up. I heard a click, The pole piece for the G string got pushed flush to the top of the pup.

I only pushed the G, after I put it back together I found the D to be well balanced with the treble side (and the G seems perfect). The Low E (especially) and A seem a little weaker. I wont try to push the E though because it's to close to the edge of the pup and the A isn't that bad. I'll play around with leaning the pup tomorrow.

I wont say it moved easily, and some may consider it a "hack job" but I couldn't use those pups anyway the way they sounded. not everyone is an ebay seller. I'm happy with the results I got, felt safe doing it, and can now use the neck pup.

I still have the middle pup to do, I'll try to get that job on video and post it on YouTube under the title "Lower the G on Jackson STK-1" when I get around to it.
                  Also, I would not try to file, grind or sand the posts because the metal particles would end up stuck to the pup, inside and out. and possibly cause damage.

Hope that helps someone.

p.s. I had to remove a piece of foam from the bottom of the pup before accessing the bottom of the pole pieces.
                  Last edited by Just A Bump; 03-06-2013, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X