PAF + onboard preamp. For metal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAF + onboard preamp. For metal.

Can such pickups as Seymour Duncan SH-1 or DiMarzio PAF Pro with onboard preamp used for metal (thrash/death)? Or it should be more hot pickups (for example SH-4)? And what onboard preamp it should be - gain boost (like EMG Afterburner) or midboost (like EMG SPC)?

Re: PAF + onboard preamp. For metal.

honestly, if you REALLY wanted to, the 59 can do metal just fine without the onboard preamp. just throw a lot of gain at it.
    Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

I want to reproduct Jackson idea: PAF pickups (j-50bc, i know, it with ceramic magnet) with booster.

Comment

dude trey from morbid angel uses the paf pro without a preamp. i have used gibson 490t sets before to play metal. you can use what ever you like. jolly has got some great heavy tones from the jazz

Comment

The Blackouts Coil Packs are around 8k, and they sound like Original Blackouts with the BMP-1 preamp, so yes. Anything you can do with Blackouts you can do with a P.A.F. Style pickup and the BMP. That includes the Gus G signature as well.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
            dude trey from morbid angel uses the paf pro without a preamp. i have used gibson 490t sets before to play metal. you can use what ever you like. jolly has got some great heavy tones from the jazz
            I found this in-guitar booster (http://www.becos.ro/ubst) which I want to install in my Gibson as well:

Comment

A lot of guys will use a pedal for the extra push an amp needs to grind. If you insist on a PAF sound, I would just get drop that in and then look at a pedal that would goose your amp into submission (a good clean boost won't color it much).

Fwiw, I have the WLH set and those through my HM-2 still sound pretty metal to me

Comment

Working...
              X