I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

I mean, he's got chops that I'll never even hope to come close to, but I've never been impressed with his tone. It has always sounded thin, piercing, and screachy to me. No real character or complexity.

Why do so many people spend so much time, money and effort trying to replicate his tone?! Not anything close to that nice, rich, full, complex Clapton tone.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Re: I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

People who like him REALLY like him. He also inspired who knows how many people to take up the guitar. What Chuck Berry was to most of our favorite early rock-n-rollers, EVH is to many younger players. They want to cop his sound. When I was learning guitar, I wanted to cop Dick Dale's sound. Big deal.

I do like a lot of his tones, but they are not something I would personally strive for. But, to each his/her own.

And, yes, the number of EVH questions at any given time on the forum is hilarious.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

There's no doubt about his influence on young guitarists. I get what you're saying. I can certainly see wanting to copy his ability/style/technique, but probably improve on, not copy, his tone. There were/are many famous guitarists with a VH type style but with greatly diverse tones. I'm only refering to his tone.

I think it was the same with Chuck Berry. His raw gutsy fusion of blues and the "new" rock was a technique kinda thing rather than a tone thing.

But, Dick Dale, Beachboys, Jan and Dean, etc, and all the surf musicians of that time had a tone that was inseparably connected to that particular style of music, that's a totally different story.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

When you guys say "young" guitarists you're talking about the guys in their 40's right? The actual young guys think that EVH is just the name of an amp used by Gojira.

Comment

By "young," I meant guitarists two decades (maybe one generation) removed from the Chuck Berry worshippers who brought us early rock-n-roll. So, yeah, I guess they'd be about 40 to 50 years old.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

It's because the EVH fascination is almost guitar mythology.

He was really the first one to seriously tear apart this guitars to get a new tone. He was the first major guitar geek. Before that, the only thing that came close was Jimi Hendrix flipping his guitar upside down.

I mean, EVH was a guitar player's guitarist. Playing guitar to bang broads wasn't his modus operandi. Given this is pretty much a tinkerer forum, it would be silly if he wasn't a major inspiration for all of us. And, Duncan was such a huge part of his mythos, i.e. "Did Seymour really wind THAT pickup for him?" "Which pickup can I buy to get THOSE specs?"

I highly doubt, you'll get this kind of obsession in a guitar technique forum, because it's way harder to describe playing technique than magnets and impedance levels.

You won't get, "Well to get the riff from "Hot for teacher" you need to play 4 measures from Cream's ___ and play the 5th, 7th and 9th of a pentatonic minor scale."
            AccountKiller

Comment

I don't get the EVH thing either unless its for people who grew up with it which I can understand. I never liked Claptons sound either though... in Cream it was way too thick and muddy and his newer stuff is thin and sounds lifeless... the only album I like him on is Blind Faith.
              Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
              Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

the main thing about eddies older tone is the mystique. No one really know for sure how he got it,many have come real close but no one knows for sure exactly the signal chain he used other than a old 68 marshall. It can be fun investigating his older tone IF you like what you hear, IF not well then why would you even care?

Comment

Originally posted by 9unslin9er View Post
                  He was really the first one to seriously tear apart this guitars to get a new tone. He was the first major guitar geek.
                  Yes, he seriously tore apart his guitars, like with a hammer and chisel; his 335 was left in splinters. That's not luthery, it's not even up to junior high school shop class level. Hendrix actually did some of the luthier work on his guitars that didn't involve hammers, like redo the neck pockets and nuts.
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                    I never liked Claptons sound either though... in Cream it was way too thick and muddy.
                    Ear wax build up; time to get out the Q-tips again, and maybe the pressure washer.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                      Yes, he seriously tore apart his guitars, like with a hammer and chisel; his 335 was left in splinters. That's not luthery, it's not even up to junior high school shop class level. Hendrix actually did some of the luthier work on his guitars that didn't involve hammers, like redo the neck pockets and nuts.
                      F*ck the 335!
                      What about that poor Destroyer! Sure it was a little big, but he didn't have to make it into jigsaw puzzle!

Also, Eddie is proof that when you're famous, you too can sell your hackjob for $25,000. And idiots will buy it.

...idiots like John Mayer...Ohhh!!! Snap...Troll.
                      AccountKiller

Comment

Hehe...tool.
                        AccountKiller

Comment

Well, for me its not THE TONE, but its cool and he did record some great music.

He could have had a great tone and record some ****ty music and nobody would be talking about him.
                          Last edited by CustomCustom; 04-30-2012, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Well, absolutely fantastic guitar playing, but boring songs, never moved me! And that Mayer bloke, ????

Comment

I'm probably the biggest Van Halen head on this forum, and I've never tried to get his tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X