Wow! LP + Blues Saraceno might be it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! LP + Blues Saraceno might be it.

I've had this PATB-3 sitting around on a shelf for 4 or 5 years. It was intended for a Strat project, but I changed my mind because I already had enough humbucker guitars. So, I sold the Invader out of my (new-to-me) LP Custom., which left a hole. Figured I might as well check this thing out.

I'm thinking . . . match made in heaven. I've been noodlin' all morning through my Twin Tube Classic, and this puppy sings. Clean is perfect. Not too bright, but still great treble. Definitely more body than I'm accustomed to hearing in a bridge pickup. Its almost "warm" if you can describe a bridge pup that way.

Dirty, roll the tone off, and she sings like a saxophone. Killer note definition even on dirty barre chords.

I'll try to get clips up later this week. I believe this one is here to stay.
    (And I think I'm going to go with a PG in the neck.)

Artie

Re: Wow! LP + Blues Saraceno might be it.

Nice! I've always been curious about that pickup.

Comment

Me too. Now I could kick myself for leaving it on the shelf for so long.

Comment

i have about 3 dozen humbucker, both in guitars or just in my drawer. i would rate the Saraceno among the best 3 A5-Bridge pickups, heading the bunch with a Will Boggs VTHPaf and modded AntiquityB UOA5
        Last edited by hamerfan; 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I'm glad you posted this. I posted a thread earlier about some P90 troubles and I was thinking of one of them PATB's in a P90 housing that was posted a long time ago. I was thinking the 3 in the bridge and possibly an antiquity in the neck with the PATB poles.
          Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

the patb3 is a fantastic pup, a real hidden gem of the duncan line

Comment

Somewhere, deep in the archives of the Seymour Q&A, IIRC, is a blurb that mentions that the parallel-axis is Seymours idea of what a pole-piece should be. I think he got it right.

Comment

Sweet.
                I tried a PATB-2 in my Epi LP,didn't really care for it too much,too toppy/edgy.
                Plus,the guy who installed it destroyed the plastic Chrome mounting ring trying to get it to fit...had to e-mail Epi for another ring & knob(which he trashed,too)...

Glad it's working out,tho!!!
                "Scalloped & Stickered"
                A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

very cool!
                  looking forward to clips
                  gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Wow!!

That DOES sound like the perfect set of pups for your LP. I've never tried the PATB3, but was always curious. The way you describe it, it sounds like it would be my favorite bridge pup. I already know that the PG in the neck is el primo.

Yes, clips would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I'll try to get some up soon. The problem is, it will be me playing.

Comment

Don't worry about that. We'll only judge you harshly if you play like crap. (just kidding).
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          the patb3 is a fantastic pup, a real hidden gem of the duncan line
                          I agree!! put one in a thin/ bright sounding CarvinSC90 once and she became a roaring beast. Put one in my RG570 and its been there for over 10 yrs...
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

So here's a question: Why isn't it available in regular spacing (unlike DiMarzio, Duncan actually makes their bobbins longer on F spaced pickups instead of just moving the poles, causing installation issues in some guitars) and in other colors besides black?

Comment

Working...
                            X