Antiquity Texas Hot (neck) a little too dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antiquity Texas Hot (neck) a little too dark

Hey all, I have a nice strat with Antiquity Texas Hots in the neck and bridge, Am. Std. in the middle. I find the neck to be a little too smoky, it's a wee bit dark. Generally this is my favorite position and I'm not really sure what to go for? The bridge version is excellent, couldn't ask for more (it's tapped by MJ actually goes to 10k!). The middle is my least used position, but it still delivers quintessential strat tone. So what would go well in the neck? I like rich, colorful tone but not the usual bright/thin strat. I had a Van Zandt Blues that worked great years ago, might go for that again. Suggestions?
    Last edited by Natman; 05-23-2012, 09:57 AM.

Re: Antiquity Texas Hot (neck) a little too dark

If you want to stay with the Antiquity series, go with an Antiquity II Surfer in the neck. A5 mags should brighten things up a bit and give a sharper attack than the A2's in the Texas Hots.

Comment

the texas hot can be a little smokey, as you said, in the neck. the aps1 is a beautiful neck pup that isnt as smokey as the texas hot. i prefer flat pole pups so i use the aps2 but they are wonderful neck pups that are a little brighter and cleaner than the texas hot with out going to an alnico 5 pup

Comment

That's why I love you guys! I'll check it out. Thanks

Comment

Man I did some homework and am now having doubts.

The Texas Hot neck has exactly the same specs as the Ant. Surf!

I know the SSL's sound like good, solid singles but don't have the same rich, complex tone. Not so sure about the APS if the softness I hear is coming from A2 magnets...

Now I'm looking at the SSL52 Five-Two. I see it is 6.7k, probably more suited to the bridge, but maybe what I'm looking for?
          Last edited by Natman; 05-28-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Natman View Post

I know the SSL's sound like good, solid singles but don't have the same rich, complex tone. Not so sure about the APS if the softness I hear is coming from A2 magnets...

Now I'm looking at the SSL52 Five-Two. I see it is 6.7k, probably more suited to the bridge, but maybe what I'm looking for?
            The Surfers are A5 though and will give you more snap and highend vs the A2 poles of the Texas Hots..I use the Surfer N and M..Phenomenal pickups!
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Natman View Post

The 5-2 has a2 magnets on the higher pitched strings. They are going to be darker than the SSLs. Take a look at the tone chart and you'll see what I mean.

Have you checked out this thread?

I always go there first when I want to find something out about Strat tone. I really think you'll find some of Lew's suggestions very helpful.
              Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Working...
              X