banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can I not make up my mind on things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can I not make up my mind on things?

I need some suggestions...

Looking to swap out the stock JB in my Edwards E-K-130vp guitar. This is an SG type guitar with a mahogany body, ash top, maple neck, rosewood fret board and 24 frets.

The 59neck is amazing and will be staying.

What I want from the bridge is nice bass string response, clarity under gain, nice harmonics, growl and lower output. I was thinking the 59/Custom hybrid would be perfect, but I have completely screwed up on picking out pickups before.

I am using a Diezel VH4 and I play a heavier style of rock that sometimes borders metal. Some pretty aggressive riffs too...

Magnet swaps are an option as well
    AMPLIFIER: Diezel VH4 (2007 updated in 2011)
    CABINET: VHT 4x12 FB (Eminence P50Es)
    GUITAR: PRS Custom 24 (2012 with Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickups)
    EFFECTS: G Major 2, EHX DMM (Older model)
    Tuner: Korg DTR-1

Re: Why can I not make up my mind on things?

The hybrid is probably a great choice. The other Duncans that come to mind are Screamin' Demon, and maybe a Custom 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Guston7 View Post
      The hybrid is probably a great choice. The other Duncans that come to mind are Screamin' Demon, and maybe a Custom 5.
      That's what I was thinking. I keep getting confused cause I am told in order to have a nice bass response, I have to use high output pickups and I need to use them for my heavier sound. Though, I am told by the amp designer that his amps work best with moderate output pickups and these amps are heavy, tight and high gain.

I am so confused haha

Comment

It may be higher output than what your looking for but the double thick ceramic custom is right up your alley. Or even the regular sh-5

Comment

I've tried several pickups and mag combo before I settled on something I like. Each time you try, you learn something and what your ears will like, you'll never know unless you try it on your guitar and on your amp. Just going by what people say you might like or what other artists use are just that, their preference or point of reference. Good thing about Duncan/DMZ pups are that they're reputable companies, their products are easy to unload or trade. Even with new pickups, you get 3-4 weeks of free exchange policy.

So my advise would be start trying out more pups (it's fun if you like different tones), and if you trade with other members here, you won't lose money/value, just some shipping costs and solder burns.

Also since you have JB, try it with Ceramic, UOA5, and A8, and report back. Those will create a point of reference in your head on what sort of frequency response you like or not.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
            It may be higher output than what your looking for but the double thick ceramic custom is right up your alley. Or even the regular sh-5
            I do love the C8 in my other all mahogany viper so I may fall in love with the other customs pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyfinger View Post
              I've tried several pickups and mag combo before I settled on something I like. Each time you try, you learn something and what your ears will like, you'll never know unless you try it on your guitar and on your amp. Just going by what people say you might like or what other artists use are just that, their preference or point of reference. Good thing about Duncan/DMZ pups are that they're reputable companies, their products are easy to unload or trade. Even with new pickups, you get 3-4 weeks of free exchange policy.

So my advise would be start trying out more pups (it's fun if you like different tones), and if you trade with other members here, you won't lose money/value, just some shipping costs and solder burns.

Also since you have JB, try it with Ceramic, UOA5, and A8, and report back. Those will create a point of reference in your head on what sort of frequency response you like or not.
              Thanks for this I did not know you could exchange pickups if you didn't like the results. This is awesome news and I am now not going to be so cautious about my pickup purchasing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigma.xiria View Post
                That's what I was thinking. I keep getting confused cause I am told in order to have a nice bass response, I have to use high output pickups and I need to use them for my heavier sound. Though, I am told by the amp designer that his amps work best with moderate output pickups and these amps are heavy, tight and high gain.

I am so confused haha
                I take it that the part about what I was told about high output pickups vs lower output is false?

Comment

I take it that the part about what I was told about high output pickups vs lower output is false?
                  I'm not entirely sure, may be for his amp, he noticed pattern that when people are using low output pickups, the tone sounded richer or better. When both the amp and pup is high gain, it might sound like crap, or it might sound great for metal, depend on who's playing/listening.

What I want from the bridge is nice bass string response, clarity under gain, nice harmonics, growl and lower output.
                  In response to this... I think if you're playing something like Dir En Grey, get the Distortion and call it a day. But I think you want it to be more versatile.

If the 59 in the bridge is too low of an output, then there's the C/59, Custom, Full Shred, Demon... all of these will have lower output than DD, and arguably more versatile, from over-driven blues to metal. They all have different flavor, modern feel, and relatively tight bass.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure, may be for his amp, he noticed pattern that when people are using low output pickups, the tone sounded richer or better. When both the amp and pup is high gain, it might sound like crap, or it might sound great for metal, depend on who's playing/listening.

In response to this... I think if you're playing something like Dir En Grey, get the Distortion and call it a day. But I think you want it to be more versatile.

If the 59 in the bridge is too low of an output, then there's the C/59, Custom, Full Shred, Demon... all of these will have lower output than DD, and arguably more versatile, from over-driven blues to metal. They all have different flavor, modern feel, and relatively tight bass.
                    Oh haha. I was talking more about what the guitar center dude was telling me. He said that a low output pickup can not ever be tight and that I will never get a good heavy sound out of it (I call bull**** by the way haha) for what the amp designer told me, he says high output pickups are good and they don't really hurt the tone. Something about the tone being compressed if the amp gain is too high with higher output pickups ....

That is way weird... my favorite band is Dir En Grey .... how did you know to bring up that reference? I do love their tone haha, but yes, I do want a little more versatility. I'm thinking I will shoot for the hybrid first and see how that goes
                    Last edited by Sigma.xiria; 05-24-2012, 10:17 PM.

Comment

That is way weird... my favorite band is Dir En Grey .... how did you know to bring up that reference? I do love their tone haha, but yes, I do want a little more versatility. I'm thinking I will shoot for the hybrid first and see how that goes
                      Few months ago, I think you started a thread about how JB was not cutting it for you, and you had some of their vids linked as tonal reference. Plus I listen to some of their songs myself from time to time, and I had a JB in a SG myself, so I've been through all that stage. The SG has a Phat Cat now.

Picking up the C/59 sounds like a great plan, I'm thinking about a Custom myself, I want to try it on a LP style axe I just picked up.
                      Last edited by lazyfinger; 05-24-2012, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Few months ago, I think you started a thread about how JB was not cutting it for you, and you had some of their vids linked as tonal reference. Plus I listen to some of their songs myself from time to time, and I had a JB in a SG myself, so I've been through all that stage. The SG has a Phat Cat now.

Picking up the C/59 sounds like a great plan, I'm thinking about a Custom myself, I want to try it on a LP style axe I just picked up.
                        Oh! That is amazing that you remember that.

The JB isn't as bad it this viper as it was my other. Now that viper has a custom8 in it

I bet the custom would rock hard in a LP. What kind of guitar is it?

Comment

I bet the custom would rock hard in a LP. What kind of guitar is it?
                          Sorta looks like this:

But without the atrocious abalone binding and the headstock is black. It has flamed maple top in trans wine finish.

Comment

...and you can't accomplish any of your queries with your amp(=twist them knobs)?

Comment

Originally posted by DeanSweden View Post
                              ...and you can't accomplish any of your queries with your amp(=twist them knobs)?
                              Dude, that's like work.

Seriously, if I had two identical guitars (i.e. the Viper) and I knew that the pickup in one was giving me what I wanted, and I wanted the same tone from the other one, then they'd both have the same pickup.

No two guitars of the same model are going to sound THAT drastically different unless they've got totally different woods (i.e. one is mahogany with maple neck, the other is all mahogany), and the rest is handled by the knobs on the amp aside from the ones marked Gain and Volume.
                              Originally posted by Brown Note
                              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                              My Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X