Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Awesome High-Output Comparsion

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
    2 threads going at once on the same subject, so I'll re-post my thoughts here:

Surprisingly, the Alt 8 doesn't do anything for me in that sample! Nothing about it shines or stands out, though it's certainly not the worst sounding pickup through his rig. The Full Shred is a great pickup, but it gets shown the door in this shootout.

Listening in HD through my Klipsch THX system, the pickups that sounded best to me in that video would be:

1) Distortion & Blackouts Original (tie)
    2) Gus G. Blackouts
    3) Custom & Custom/Hybrid (also a tie)

I was excited to see the Dimebucker in the lineup, but it sounded disgusting. No give, no color, totally harsh. Yet, I've seen it do everything in the right setup. Shows how equally important all the other things (besides pickups) are to your final sound!
    Mate, you hit the nail on the head... exactly !!!!

The only pickup Keith missed out and should REALLY try is the Parrallel Axis DISTORTION - PA TB2 - it is in the same family as the SH6 , BUT has twice the mid growl and sounds broader.....more bark.
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      What amp?

What eq/gain settings?
      - Same for each i would assume/hope.
      From his vid:

Close Upgrade to the latest Flash Player for improved playback performance. Upgrade now or more info.
      9,646 Like Share Loading... Sign in or sign up now! Share with playlist starting from current video start of playlist Loading...
      Published on May 24, 2012 by diobolic5150

Keith Merrow is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with Keith Merrow and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected.

Keith Merrow; a solo instrumentalist who writes modern, technical heavy metal music on guitar.

This is like the "Nyancat" of guitar videos. Haha, sorry for the repetition. I'm just trying to give the most solid comparison that I can. Using the same guitar, same amp tone, same mix and eq, and same riffs, are the only way to do this accurately, IMO. All of these pickups would most likely sound great if I were to dial in the amp, according to how the pickup reacts to the guitar. But, for the sake of consistency, the amp settings are exactly the same on every clip so you can hear the tonal variations between them IN THIS GUITAR.

Keep in mind- These pickups are all going to sound different depending on the guitar and amp you're using. A pickup that sounds good (or not good) in this guitar, might sound completely different in yours. The guitar used in this video has an extremely prominent midrange tone (almost to a fault). The baritone used here was rather picky! The result: a couple of the models clearly aren't a good choice for this guitar. However, a few of them compliment the tone, nicely . Which ones are your favorites?

Guitar-
      Strictly 7 Guitars "Cobra" Baritone 6-string. 27.5" scale, mahogany body, koa top, maple neck, ebony fretboard. Tuned drop Bb.

Amp-
      Rhodes Colossus H-100

DAW-
      Presonus Studio One Pro (v2)
      Software, microphone preamps, signal processors, digital audio interfaces, mixers, and control surfaces.

Signal chain- S7 guitar - Rhodes Amp - Randall ISOcab - SM57 - Profire 610 - Presonus S1 Pro (guitars are high and low passed).
      DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

I like the Distortion best. The 59/custom, Custom, and regular Blackout sound great too. Don't care for the Dimebucker or alt8 at all.

Comment

I wish folks at Seymour Duncan will highly consider give Keith a job as pickup demonstrator for metal crowd. I'm really sure people at EMG at least could frown upon that video. Duncan rocks!
          Originally posted by GuitarDoc
          Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

I liked the Custom/59, Custom, AHB1 and the Gus Gs the best. All seemed to have a great "thunk" in the low end which I love. The others were okay, just didn't seem like something I'd like. So I have Custom (well Customs), and AHB1, maybe I need a Custom/59 and Gus G!

Comment

Distortion,Custom/59 stood out to me. I liked the JB with the drum track however by itself it didn't sound that good. I didn't like the Dimebucker at all and the Full Shred,Invader and Alternative 8 wern't a whole lot better. imo.

Comment

Originally posted by marvelous_seven View Post
                I wish folks at Seymour Duncan will highly consider give Keith a job as pickup demonstrator for metal crowd. I'm really sure people at EMG at least could frown upon that video. Duncan rocks!
                Agreed.
                And maybe do a demo with a Les Paul Std?

Comment

Your video makes me want to buy a JB. Were you using a modeler?

Comment

Custom, hybrid and Invader for me.. all different reasons though lol.
                    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Working...
                    X