JB8 = Duncan Super Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB8 = Duncan Super Distortion?

So i was working on Black Diamond by KISS today. I started out playing my 73 Les Paul w/ a SuperDistortion (What else would you have chosen?).

Then, later, I pulled my Dean Silverburst Caddy off the wall to adjust the pickup (my recent JB mag swap). Anyway, when i got done I naturally went into riffing on Black Diamond.

I thought it sounded pretty darned good! Probably because the JB8 rocks!!!! Then I got to thinking, and noticed "Hey - did that really sound NOT very different from the Les Paul?"

I'm going to investigate this in detail perhaps this weekend with my own ears. But off the cuff, what do you guys think?

SuperD vs JB*

Thick? Check/Check
    Mids? Check/Check
    Nice highs? Check/Check
    Powerful? Check/Check

I'm thinking these might be pretty darned in the same ballpark, maybe even on the same field...
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: JB8 = Duncan Super Distortion?

never tried either one myself, but from what I've heard(live shows and so on...)
    the Super Distortion is the thicker one of the two

Comment

Interesting. I have always wanted to try a super distortion. I like the jb8 or in my case dd8 but the bottom end was not powerful enough

Comment

interesting.

I had a Super Distortion in my Strat a while back. It was pretty kickass, but almost too thick. Didn't have enough attack or screaming highs for my taste. Great pickup though. Love it in the right guitar.

Right now I've got an HB103 in the same strat, and I will soon be changing the mag to an A8...so it should be kinda close to a JB8. Will report back once I've made the swap.

Comment

As I play with the poles on the JB8 I think I can really manipulate the highs quite a bit. I agree the SuperD may have a little less. But again, it's all in the adjustment.

Dudes never spend enough time tweeking the height etc. IMO. I think a SuperD has way more highs than guys give it credit for. Any highs missing on KISS Alive? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
            Interesting. I have always wanted to try a super distortion. I like the jb8 or in my case dd8 but the bottom end was not powerful enough
            Dude - EVERYONE needs two guitars:

Any guitar with P-90's and a Les Paul with a Super Distortion!

You go out there and buy yourself a Les Paul right now and put some in it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              As I play with the poles on the JB8 I think I can really manipulate the highs quite a bit. I agree the SuperD may have a little less. But again, it's all in the adjustment.

Dudes never spend enough time tweeking the height etc. IMO. I think a SuperD has way more highs than guys give it credit for. Any highs missing on KISS Alive? I don't think so.

True, but I don't play Marshalls. The Jet City is a thick/warm/smooth amp, not brash, bright or crispy like a Marshall.

Comment

lol. I dont like les Paul's. Maybe a dean caddy or a carvin cs4. How does the super distortion fair for really really heavy stuff? Keeping in mind that I love the double thick ceramic custom.

Comment

lol. I dont like les Paul's. Maybe a dean caddy or a carvin cs4. How does the super distortion fair for really really heavy stuff? Keeping in mind that I love the double thick ceramic custom.

Comment

the SuperD is killer for really really heavy stuff. death metal especially.

Sounds like a sledgehammer when used with lots of gain. powerful as hell, and has a great open sound.

Comment

My SuperD is the best pickup for realistic Acoustic sims. Who knew?

I think it's a LOT more flexible than people think.

Comment

Only two!?!?!?

Nope...

Comment

Yeah greedy @$$

Comment

Apologies - let me rephrase:

You need AT LEAST one guitar w/ P-90's, and one Les Paul w/ a SuperD

Comment

This sounds VERY cool, as I love the Super Distortion, especially in a Les Paul, but I'm super loyal to Duncan...except for the Super D. I have had a JB in two different Les Pauls--stock JBs, and also two different JBs--and it sounded killer and even somewhat vintage in one, and horrible in the other. I wonder in the A8 cures this, or if your Cadillac is just one of the guitar that takes to the JB well.
                              My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                              or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                              http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                              700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Working...
                              X