Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: alt. 8 bridge in neck position?

Originally posted by cheameup View Post
    I have an alt8 sitting on my home studio desk.

Got nothing on Saturday , I may as well go where no man has gone before and chuck it in the neck of my guitar I'm still fusing around with a neck pu to match a bkp warpig.

I don't expect it to be good. But damn. Someone has to try it.
    that's the spirit!

Comment

I did it last year. Leads were nice but no other option than fat, and it was too thick for anything else but leads imo, given it's already bass and mid heavy character in the bridge. Adding dirt just accentuated all this. And the output in series was enough higher than the invader bridge I'd had at the time to where it was a noticeable mismatch, even after messing with height. In parallel the output was better matched, but doing so made it feel a little flat.

I ended up ditching the invader and putting the alt 8 back in the bridge, but with a polished A5 mag; wow, what an improvement. It's been this way ever since because I'm pretty happy with it. I never tried it in the neck with the A5. I recall someone saying it should be close to a JB now. I've never played a JB, so I wouldn't know.

Comment

I've never tried a jb either but I would like too, I have a dd8 in the bridge and I'm gonna try the alt8 in the neck with a coil tap! Worst case I don't like it and I can put something else in it

Comment

Originally posted by metalthrasher83 View Post
          I've never tried a jb either but I would like too, I have a dd8 in the bridge and I'm gonna try the alt8 in the neck with a coil tap! Worst case I don't like it and I can put something else in it
          Never hurts to try it yourself. You may get result you like. I'm all about actually trying it, especially if you've already got it.

The alt 8 stock actually split pretty well in the bridge for me. I had actually wired it up to series/parallel split in the neck as well, but I don't remember actually selecting split and what it sounded like...lol. I was trying a lot of stuff back then.

I ended up with a liquifier in the neck, which worked out very well.

Comment

Originally posted by gvis View Post
            I did it last year. Leads were nice but no other option than fat, and it was too thick for anything else but leads imo, given it's already bass and mid heavy character in the bridge. Adding dirt just accentuated all this. And the output in series was enough higher than the invader bridge I'd had at the time to where it was a noticeable mismatch, even after messing with height. In parallel the output was better matched, but doing so made it feel a little flat.

hmm thats what I fugred it would sound like, so since you've done it I dont think I'll bother now
            stuff
            and
            more stuff

Comment

Originally posted by gman128 View Post
              I wouldn't do it, had one in the bridge pos of my strat - darker than a JB/distortion by quite a bit.
              Would be a bit messy in the neck position, and that's to say the least.
              +1. If you want a hot neck PU, there are better choices, like a Full Shred or Fred. I think an Alt8 there is asking for a muffled, muddy mess. It's a warm bridge PU!
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
              X