Pickup Updgrade for Fender Prodigy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Updgrade for Fender Prodigy

I've used the wizard. HSH config, alder body, rosewood fretboard. But it's recommending an SH-11 Custom Custom or an SH-14 Custom 5. I was interested in getting a JB. Apart from the 2k difference in DC resistance, would I be silly to get a JB, or would I be silly to get the SH-14. I've decided "no" on the SH-11.

I play metal. Classic...80's...metal, hence why I was looking at a JB (see Dave Murray/Adrian Smith). BUT, I need something with strong output that can drive from Iron Maiden to current metal (since we do fling around a bit in Metallica/Slayer, etc.).

Suggestions? i don't know if 2.k DC means "higher output" or if tonal-ly I'm going to hear a difference. I want to to strike a note...and let it sing for a nice sustain, with the crunch of metal (re: rectified). I play through a JCM2000 DSL if that helps.

Thanks!!!

Re: Pickup Updgrade for Fender Prodigy

Originally posted by psychodj View Post
    I've used the wizard. HSH config, alder body, rosewood fretboard. But it's recommending an SH-11 Custom Custom or an SH-14 Custom 5. I was interested in getting a JB. Apart from the 2k difference in DC resistance, would I be silly to get a JB, or would I be silly to get the SH-14. I've decided "no" on the SH-11.

I play metal. Classic...80's...metal, hence why I was looking at a JB (see Dave Murray/Adrian Smith). BUT, I need something with strong output that can drive from Iron Maiden to current metal (since we do fling around a bit in Metallica/Slayer, etc.).

Suggestions? i don't know if 2.k DC means "higher output" or if tonal-ly I'm going to hear a difference. I want to to strike a note...and let it sing for a nice sustain, with the crunch of metal (re: rectified). I play through a JCM2000 DSL if that helps.

Thanks!!!
    Actually, maybe the SH-5 (or TB-5 if you've got a trem) Custom might be what you're looking for. Or maybe the '59/Custom hybrid (again, Trembucker version if you have a trem).

The JB and Custom series pickups are wound with a different gauge wire, so comparing the two is apples and oranges going by DCR.

Did/do Murray and Smith use the JB? I mean, if that's what they're using and that's the sound you want you could always give it a try.
    Nope...

Comment

I've got the same guitar, with the kahler spyder. I play the same music. I got a DiMarzio super distortion, very cool pickup if you play with the polepieces a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by cokekolev View Post
        I've got the same guitar, with the kahler spyder. I play the same music. I got a DiMarzio super distortion, very cool pickup if you play with the polepieces a little bit.
        That's the other one I was looking at. Same guitar, Kahler Spyder.

Are the pickups different somehow if you have a Trem? lol, never heard that one before... but yeah, guess I'd need an f-spaced "trembucker".

Comment

That's the other one I was looking at. Same guitar, Kahler Spyder.

Are the pickups different somehow if you have a Trem? lol, never heard that one before... but yeah, guess I'd need an f-spaced "trembucker".
          Yep, the pole spacing is wider to make absolutely sure you catch the outer strings in the magnetic field.
          Nope...

Comment

so I'm looking for an f-spaced trembucker if I get one from SD.

So now the question is, JB or TH-14? Which one would provide more drive/sustain?

Comment

so I'm looking for an f-spaced trembucker if I get one from SD.

So now the question is, JB or TH-14? Which one would provide more drive/sustain?
              They're both about the same in that regard but voiced completely diffently. The JB has a spike in the upper midrange while the C5 has a scooped midrange. You seem to be looking for something with more mids than the C5, which is why I suggested the regular Custom or the '59/Custom hybrid.
              Nope...

Comment

Thanks for the info!

I will look into the TH-14.
                Last edited by psychodj; 05-29-2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

I will look into the TH-14.
                  So I guess you're saying you want that scooped midrange?
                  Nope...

Comment

Here's what I do know: my current pickups suck, to be blunt. They're Fat Tone Vintage POS's which worked ok for my previous band, but now I need something with more power/punch with clarity in the distortion and not sound like bees in a coffee can (a very thin coffee can). I rarely use clean with the bridge so...

I was looking at the JB. I like the SH14 based on the MP3's from the SD website. I'm not wholly interested in the '59, and I can't hear the '59 samples (missing???), besides it's rating is 2k+ lower than what I have (again, looking at output/DC resistance).

The SH-5 is appealing, but only for ceramics over V's, if that's the custom you're refering too. And it sounds a little better than the SH-4 (JB).

The wizard keeps plugging the Saraceno thing no matter what I select, along with the SH-14 (hard rock/metal), and the '59 (rock/classic).

Based on the audio samples, the JB actually just sounds better to me (now that I've listened to them all side by side). Which means I'll probably get a Super Distortion...lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X