banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had and awesome thought for a set of CS pickups tonight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had and awesome thought for a set of CS pickups tonight!

I was playing my 60's Tribute LP tonight. I've had a love hate relationship with it since I got it. I love the neck pickup. It's everything a good P90 should be. Smooth, defined, and creamy with just the right about amount of bite under gain. The bridge pickup is harsh, bright, and lacks clarity.

I've been thinking about getting a CS bucker in a P90 housing with the parallel axis poles, but couldn't decide on what wind. I think I actually figured it out tonight.

Brobucker wind with an A2 mag for the bridge. The neck pickup is where I had an epiphany! I still want a P90 in the neck, but I'm thinking I'll let MJ or Seymour do their mojo on a P90 neck pickup that will match up with the bridge sonically but will also have the parallel axis pole pieces!
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Re: Had and awesome thought for a set of CS pickups tonight!

Something like this?
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Similar. I originally wanted a staple in the neck, but I don't think one will fit without some routing and I don't want to do that.

Comment

Ummm... pretty sure that is a P90 housing...
        "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

I'd probably just keep trying P-90's till I found one that sounded the way I wanted it to.
          Just my 2 cents.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
            Ummm... pretty sure that is a P90 housing...
            Yup! That's a P90. It's called the P90 staple. I don't remember the year they were introduced on the LP custom, but the model is often referred to as the fretless wonder. Very similar to what I'm thinking, but mine would have 12 pole pieces instead of six with sets of screws between. This is my first choice, but I don't think there's enough clearance on my guitar for one without routing the pickups slots deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
              I'd probably just keep trying P-90's till I found one that sounded the way I wanted it to.
              Just my 2 cents.
              I've meandered that thought as well. That's the cool thing about pickups. They're not a permanent fixture of the guitar. The way I'm thinking at the moment, more expensive, but nothing irreversible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr 9finger View Post
                I was playing my 60's Tribute LP tonight. I've had a love hate relationship with it since I got it. I love the neck pickup. It's everything a good P90 should be. Smooth, defined, and creamy with just the right about amount of bite under gain. The bridge pickup is harsh, bright, and lacks clarity.

I've been thinking about getting a CS bucker in a P90 housing with the parallel axis poles, but couldn't decide on what wind.
                Common problem, easy fix. Swap mags in the bridge P-90. Twin A5's are pretty bright in a single coil in the bridge slot, and if you EQ your amp for the bridge, the neck can be too dark. EQ for the neck, like you did, and the bridge is thin and bright. That led me to try various mag combinations in bridge P-90's, and an A8/A4 and A8/A5 work great. Fills in ths mids and takes off some high end; boosts output a little so that the bridge balances better with the neck. For several dollars you can get what you want, versus several hundred dollars for your proposed solution.
                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr 9finger View Post
                  Yup! That's a P90. It's called the P90 staple. I don't remember the year they were introduced on the LP custom, but the model is often referred to as the fretless wonder.
                  The 1954-1956 LPC's had 'Alnico' staple single coils in the neck, until HB's came out in 1957.
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                  X