Pots!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pots!?

Im new to the forum so a bit of background info. I am a rookie at modding still. ATM im more/less playing around with pawn shop guitars, trying to learn the ins and outs, and plan on starting a top notch partscaster soon as soon as I am confidant in my abilities.

I am putting together a fat strat. I got a good deal on lil 59'/Vintage rails (havent figured out which i want for neck or mid yet) and 59 SH-1 for bridge off of eBay. All the wiring digrams I seem to find (except for the HH guitars) seem to use 250K pots. It was my understanding that I want to use 500K pots with humbuckers.

Im not looking to get crazy with the setup. I dont plan on splitting or phasing and looking to do a standard strat 5 way switch setup. I want to keep the sound as cool and mellow as possible.

thanks in advance
    60's RI Squier Strat
    70's RI Squier Strat
    Squier Fat Strat w/ Vintage Rails/lil 59/59 SH-1
    Cort LP Clone w/ Gretsch Pups
    Squier Tele Custom Shop HH
    Squier Tele Esquier w/ Stag Mag ~ Series/Split/Parallel
    Applause MIA Aluminum Neck Turtle Back
    Fender PBass w/ EMG pups
    Squier Jazz 5
    Waterstone Mark Sandman Bass

Re: Pots!?

Originally posted by lunchbox View Post
    Im new to the forum so a bit of background info. I am a rookie at modding still. ATM im more/less playing around with pawn shop guitars, trying to learn the ins and outs, and plan on starting a top notch partscaster soon as soon as I am confidant in my abilities.

I am putting together a fat strat. I got a good deal on lil 59'/Vintage rails (havent figured out which i want for neck or mid yet) and 59 SH-1 for bridge off of eBay. All the wiring digrams I seem to find (except for the HH guitars) seem to use 250K pots. It was my understanding that I want to use 500K pots with humbuckers.

Im not looking to get crazy with the setup. I dont plan on splitting or phasing and looking to do a standard strat 5 way switch setup. I want to keep the sound as cool and mellow as possible.

thanks in advance
    I'm a strange bird in the fact that I like 500K volumes in HSS guitars. But that's in straight-up HSS guitars, while you're talking about an HHH guitar, technically.

If you go with a regular HSS setup, I'd wire it like a vintage Strat (tones on the middle and neck, not on the bridge) except with a 500K volume (the tones would remain 250K). If it's the HHH setup you're talking about go all 500Ks.
    Nope...

Comment

Yes exactly, in short, I am looking for a HHH setup. I was 95% sure that I need to go 500k pots, but the SD diagrams threw me through a loop. This is my first time using the single coil sized buckers so I wasnt sure if they were special.

Thanks!
      60's RI Squier Strat
      70's RI Squier Strat
      Squier Fat Strat w/ Vintage Rails/lil 59/59 SH-1
      Cort LP Clone w/ Gretsch Pups
      Squier Tele Custom Shop HH
      Squier Tele Esquier w/ Stag Mag ~ Series/Split/Parallel
      Applause MIA Aluminum Neck Turtle Back
      Fender PBass w/ EMG pups
      Squier Jazz 5
      Waterstone Mark Sandman Bass

Comment

If you are putting in the single coil size humbuckers, they are met to be used with 250k pots, but to one there own. If you choose to use 500k pots it will allow more higher freq. to come through. Could be ear peircing. I had a hot rails and two little 59's in my strat when I had and it sounded great with 250k pots. I you are using full size humbuckers then go with 500k pots
        There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
        Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
        Boss GT-10
        Rocktron Velocity 300
        Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
        Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
        AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Comment

Working...
        X