No announcement yet.

Swapping Pups vs Mags? Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping Pups vs Mags? Where to start?

Well boys, let's get the big kids at the table have a little discussion.

I am EXTREMELY new to the mag swap scene, but very excited. I am no stranger to the pup swap.

I have played long enough, and enough different pups to generally be able to get the right brick in the hole the first time out of the gate, so I like to pup swap (although again, not really swapping in the dark).

Yet the mag swap has a certain speed/ease/cost appeal.

So what do you think: Don't worry about the pup. Work the mags with what you have, or get the pup in the ballpark, then tweek with the mags?

[For the record - I don't believe there is a right answer]
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Swapping Pups vs Mags? Where to start?

i say try to the right pup first. then tweak.

Comment

My motto is 'work with what you have' and start with the simplest and cheapest solutions first, work your way up. If your tone isn't quite what you want, adjust the set up. Then try a couple mags, then pots. If it still isn't doing it for you, then strat looking for another PU. Make it a logical process, and don't zip around like a waterbug, as that's expensive and frustrating. A common mistake is some player's knee jerk response to get a new PU, which is often a questionable choice that gives them a new set of problems to deal with. Back where they started.

If you haven't tried two or three mags in a HB or P-90, you have no idea what that PU can do. Slow down and see what it has to offer. Look at all the Customs, every one is different: Custom, CC, C5, C8, UO C5, C4, C3. If you give up without trying different mags, look at what you miss. Odds are one of those would have given you what you want. All it takes is a few dollars and a few minutes. I learned this myself through experience: tried a few JB's and gave up, sold them. Then I tried a JB2; totally different PU. Even when a PU seems completely wrong, you just might be able to make it work.

How many guys worldwide sell guitars every day because they don't like the way they sound, which probably has a lot to do with the PU's or magnets; sometimes it's just the set up that needs a tweak. Great thing about this forum is that there's a lot of helpful people here to show you alternative ways to make your guitars sound better. Things you can do yourself, without spending much. What more could you want?

Aceman, I'd like to personally welcome you to the mag-swapping club.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Yeah, first you've gotta get into the right ballpark. Then you can start looking for your exact seat. Check you ticket stub for your seat number, then check the stadium seating chart. Chances are you'll end up where you want to be. But you gotta be in the right ballpark to start.

(just a metaphore for what Blueman said).
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I think it comes down to your expierence. I know what i like well enough anymore that I havent had a mag swap do something unpredicted and suddenly make a pickup I didnt like into one I did. A mag is just one part of the equation and sometimes what your looking for needs a different wind. I have nothing against swapping just to see whats there but after you've done it so many times you get a feel for what your gonna get.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

As I said - I think there is no right answer.

If you have a pup you don't dig, clear mags can make significant changes. The custom Series, for example...Don't dig a CC because it isn't METAL enough? A ceramic will obviously fix that.

Then again, If you want the sound of a Distortion, all the ceramic swaps are not going to get you there unless maybe you have a JB.

But I have to agree - I think I'd start with the mags, unless I knew I wanted something else...i.e.; I know I want a Disotrtion, or PG (<= gee, how often does that happen??!?!?!). But I'm new to this game...
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
            X