Pickups for my Fret King Esprit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for my Fret King Esprit

A little while ago I got this beauty. It's loaded with Wilkinson pickups that are definitely vintage voiced. It's sounding great through my current set up, but I fancy just spicing it up a little. It's all mahogany, set neck...

I was thinking of a '59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge to retain some vintage tone, and give just a little more grunt.

I'm not sure what to team it with in the neck. I'd like to retain the vintage tone there, and match it up nicely with the bridge. Pearly Gates? Seth?

Any other combos?? I generally use a 'Classic Rock' tone...

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Re: Pickups for my Fret King Esprit

I would go with the '59/Custom hybrid for the bridge too. Thinking about trying one myself, though not sure which guitar yet.

I would guess that guitar is not a million miles from an SG tonally, so a '59 might be good in the neck. I found it a tad bass-heavy in a Les Paul but I've heard great reports of the '59N in an SG. I have a set of '59s ready to go into my Epi SG but I haven't got around to it yet!

The '59 has nice sharp highs, the Seth and PG slightly less so - stronger in the mids, less in the highs and lows. The PG and Seth both work well in LPs, haven't tried them in SGs.

If it were mine I'd probably try the '59/Custom hybrid paired with a '59N.

Comment

That's a thought... Yeah, it's very "SG" in it's tonality. Reckon the '59 would balance nicely with the '59/C??

Comment

In my Firebird, which I'd imagine is extremely similar tonally to your Esprit, I have a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a Super 2 in the neck. Gives a great 'hotrodded' classic rock tone.

I'd also personally avoid a 59 in that guitar as imo it'd be far too boomy and bass heavy. I had a pair in my Gibby LP you've played and hated them; far too mid scooped and bass heavy. I'd imagie they'd be the same or worse in an all magogany guitar.

Comment

I like a Seth or Ant b in the neck slot Stevie, and I think it would work for that guitar. If I was going for a neck model I think it would be a PGn because they retain clarity.

Comment

I definitely want to retain a warm neck tone, but not too boomy. I know where you're coming from with the Ant B in the neck having played your Lester Don!!

Comment

I have a Seth b here if you want to try it mate?

Comment

Cheers Don! I'll let you know...I kinda still want a classic neck tone, smoother and warmer against a grittier bridge tone...

Comment

I wonder whether the Alnico II Pro would work well, classic tone with a spongier bass...??

Comment

Or maybe the Jazz neck...??

Comment

Jazz would work - balanced and articulate pu; it would still have enough warmth and smoothness in a 22 fret mahogany guitar.

But, you're just skirting around the fact that you want a Jazz/59 in the neck . Suitably vintage sounding with a bit more character.
                      Originally posted by dominus
                      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

A2Pro neck is very classic rock!
                        Great trades/transactions with checo, kjrocks (2x), ginoames (2x), guitarkid (2x), Ed Hunter, primo (2x), apar111, blueman335, King IzzO))), ArtieToo, lemonman, saladin, SAVAGE DISTORTION, surface54, and DonP. Excellent forum bros!

Comment

I don't know which pups to use, but thats a cool guitar. I've never seen one of those before. Nice.

Comment

Jazz neck would be a good choice IMO. I didn't suggest it before because it's not exactly "vintage" as humbuckers go. Very clear and bright on the top end, almost strat-like, less bottom end than the '59. You get your smooth by using the tone and volume knobs.

My concern with the PG and Seth neck models in an all mahogany guitar would be that they might not have enough top-end cut, particularly if you roll the volume back to clean up (don't know if you do that - I do). A2 neck pickups work fine in a Les Paul with the maple cap (though A4 and A5 are brighter) but I've never tried them in all-mahogany. I defer to others' opinions on that!

When I had the '59n in a Les Paul I felt the same as Craig - too much bass! I've heard good reports of them in SGs though, which is why I have a set lined up for my Epi. We'll see...

Comment

Well, just ask Sarah Michelle

Comment

Working...
                              X